guppy breeding questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Hello everyone
Everyone says that breeding guppies is easy (i'm talking about the breeding program w hich doesn't involve creating new show species, but just for fun)

I have trouble with my female guppies having babies
I put two in a breeding trap in a separate 10 gallon aquarium with a pH of 7.6, temp at about 79, and no ammonia or nitrites. I feed them regularly flakes, brine shrimp, and sometimes freeze dried bloodworms.

They seem perfectly fine, but they don't give birth very readily

Big , full bellied fish

So far, 4 days in the trap have produced three guppy fry (that I know of), one which was quickly eaten.

Their bellies are still very large, and the larger of the two shows signs of giving birth again (clamped dorsal fin, lack of movement)

those babies are like 3 days old.

Do guppies normally give birth to one or two babies at a time, and then give birth to more later on? is there a such thing as like prebirth or something?

Thanks all.

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I never had very good luck with breeding traps.I feel like they stress the fish way to much. I had a female die in one, so I stop using them. If you put a couple of females in a 10 gal with lots hiding places, fake plants, rocks youll have better luck imo. I even tried 1 female in a bare 10 gal she ate all her fry.
So as long as the fry have places to hide you will see more. But still them females will eat some. If there is other females in the tank they will eat them also. I got to watch a female giving birth once, there were other females waiting for the fry.
Hope this helps some. Tim

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
i tried once with one female guppy in a breeder with a sucess, but then i think i stressed the second guppy so much with it that she is still absorbing her babies and is about a month overdue. what i do is let the female guppy release her babies in the tank when shes ready, and then take out the babies with a net and put them in the breeder to grow big enough to be released.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Ours gave birth about a week ago. We have 11 fry at the moment. Ironically, both the male adults died a few days after the fry were born (the mother was removed mainly to prevent the men harrassing her).

Said fry are now enjoying the expanse of a 29g, and the thrill of a clawed predator probably trying to find a way to catch them.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
crazy guppies!
give birth already!
before i use my 10 gallon for another purpose lol
any other tips?
Feed them less? more?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com