You will NOT believe this

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Would anyone care to guess what my Arowana was eating just a few minutes ago?

How about flakes? Yes, flake food. I kid you not. I accidentally dumped too much in because I was holding the brine shrimp I was going to feed it in the other hand, and after I put the shrimp in, I noticed him pick at a flake. I figured he thought it was a brine shrimp or something, but lo and behold, I watch him for a while longer, and the fish is eating flake food.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Its not that uncommon... =). My old black arowana used to eat anything put in the tank. Anything from food pellets, flakes, or the occassional ghost shrimp. Having an arowana thats more than willing to eat food like that makes it a heck of a lot easier to keep it healthy via a good diet.

-Richer

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Oh, so this is another one of those "Discus are hard to keep" things.

I was under the impression that Arowanas only rarely accept frozen food, let alone flakes. Of course, I was also under the impression that discus were hard to keep until I tried it for myself...

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
people have to understand fish are not robots, each one is differnt. there is no concrete rule that says what they will and will not eat :)

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Agreed with Hans, I always experiment, and in addition to that certain fish are notorius for training the people feeding them. I have adopted a couple of Oscars in my life that would supposedly only eat feeder fish, and although I like to use feeders for a treat, I will not use them for a staple diet with an omnivourous fish like an Oscar. It took a couple of months, but the Oscar's came around to eating what was provided, when they realized they weren't going to see a feeder untill they had their vitamins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store