melafix:tea-tree oil

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
just a curiosity question

since melafix is 1% melaleuca and 99% inert ingrediants can you use tea-tree oil (common name for melaleuca) and add it to the tank as per the melafix instructions?

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Well, if they are the same thing, as you're suggesting, there's no reason why not. Although I think that the concs. of tea tree oil are probably higher than 1%, so it may require a little dilution before following the Melafix instructions.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
What happy said. The concentration is likely to be MUCH smaller...it owuld be hard to dose unless you knew the concentration of the tea tree oil (make sure it really is Melucula oil, though, and i know I spelled that wrong).

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Well, if the concs. higher and you know the concentration, it's easy to adjust, well ballpark.

use:
Conc. (init.)*V(init.) = C (desired)* V(final)

for example
if tea-tree oil is 10%, you could take 1mL of the extract, to make a 1% solution:

(10%)*(1mL)/(1%)=10mL final volume. So you'd need to add 9mL of solvent.

I don't know if tea-tree oil is water soluble, the name indicates otherwise (oil). I imagine vinegar would work. My first choice would be ethanol, but what about the drunk fish?:eek:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Right. Im just saying that I've seen bottles of it that simply say "tea tree oil" and don't give a concentration. In which case it would be difficult:)

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Often naturopathic products don't indicate concentrations. This is one of the things that really bugs me about them. But that's a completely different gripe...

RTR, I supose Missy could always throw in a little egg yolk?:D

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
most of the companies up here (h.c. this should apply to you as you are in another province) do have the % of product listed ... i figured that one would have to steer clear of things labled "lotions" as this could mess up the fish but there are different strengths of tea-tree oil that i have found at the local drug store and there is even a 1% that is available. Just don't know what i would add to other %eges for the inert ingrediants that wouldn't mess up the fish

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I am not saying that it is but wouldn't the chances of the Tea Trea Oil being solvent in water be good? After all you are adding the Melafix to your tank water. If it was not solvent how would it be able to help your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store