Disease experts part 2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
So, following my previous posts of 55G disaster and whatnot, I had ich in my one big tank, so I treated the tank with Maracide. Didnt notice any improvement untill last night. Now I havent seen the loach in a little while, 2-3days, but thats not abnormal, lol.
But everyone that showed the visual signs of ich have MUCH improved, little to no spots left at all, and I have one treatment left, yay!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Just do remember that ich can have a life cycle of 21 days or more. Even though there are no visible cysts on the fish does not mean that there aren't any free floating ich or ich that are hatching in the substrate. The biggest mistake people make when treating ich is stopping too soon, which just allows the ich to reappear directly after treatment stops.

Also, many medications do not have an appropriate dosing time. For example, one of the ich meds I first bought said to treat once and that the ich would be gone in 24 hours. Well, as we know, that didn't work;)

Whats the main ingredient in that med you're using? Copper?

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
Maracide doesnt have copper...pretty sure anyway.
I think Coppersafe does, but I'm not using that.
it has Marachite (sp?) Green, funny cause is tints the water blue, lol.
But I used it on recommendation from my LFS Owner as well as people on this board have.
I found out that its OK to use with plants, which was a big concern with me, planted aquaria and all.

EDIT: BTW, yeah I know aboot the whole 21 day life cycle dealie, so I am gonna grab two bottles o' maracide today and do a full dosage today to finish the recommended treatment cycle, and then continue the next week with a half dosage, to make sure everything goes away, w00t

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Maracide and many proprietary remedy that turn the water blue contain Malachite Green, though the ingredients are often listed uner different names such as Victorian Green, Anniline Green or Benzuldehyde Green. Malachite Green has a bad reputation that certain scaless fish are sensitive to it but I have never had trouble using it on pleco and loaches at full dosage. In fact, it's important to follow the instruction to use full dosage or else the therapeutic effect is compromised. I guess the recommended dosage is very conservative, plus a portion of the dosage is neutralize by organics in the water. Even though the theory says that the parasites have a 21 day life cycle, I often found that one full dosage was adequate to wipe out the itch.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
I started with 1/2 dosage on the first day to make sure it would be OK
clownie loach was fine
cories were fine
and the small guppy was fine
ok
so, day 3
Full dosage
everyone still goin
day 5 (today)
the visual signs of ich are next to gone on the fish that had it, and I will update as I can

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I am still treating an ich outbreak in my 20 gallon tank. The medecation I used had victoria green as it's primary ingrediant. After treating the tank I lost three pictus catfish (one of which had NO ich whatsoever) and two goldfish (which we all know are nearly indestructable). I had a rock of unknown type and origin in that tank which, combined with the medecine, seemed to poison my fish (one of the goldfish was found on the floor a good three feet from the tank). All the surviving fish (including one neon not listed in my sig) are now fine and show no signs of ich.

I would like to know a good ich treatment that is safe to use with ghost shrimp (IE contains NO copper), as my 18 gallon was exposed, albeit shortly, via the neon tetras. They were added to the 20 gallon before the outbreak occured and were transferred to the 18 gallon after the pictus catfish ate one. One of the neons had a single ich spot, but the tank shows no current signs of distress. However I would like to be 100% sure that I DO NOT get ich in that tank! Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store