Fish getting stressed, what to do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
I have 2 serpae tetras and 1 longfin blackskirt tetra in a 10 gallon. One of the serpaes keeps chasing the blackskirt around, to the point where the blackskirt is beginning to look stressed. (Nitrites are also high so that is stressing him as well, I do water changes to keem them down.) But with the serpaes chasing him the blackskirt just goes to the back right corner of the tank and sits near the filter intake. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Maybe he needs another of his kind? Please help, I don't want to lose a fish.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Yes, these fish can get pushy if not in a group or if they do not have enough room to roam.

And just to be clear, you mentioned NitrItes level. Is it nitrites or nitrates? Nitrites are found in an uncycled aquarium while nitrAtes are found in an already established (cycled) aquarium.

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
they are nitrites, my fishy cycle is not complete, which is why I am VERY hesitant to add a fish. But on the other hand I don't want to loose the blackfin due to the serpaes chasing him around.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Well the good news is if you are seeing a nitrite level that means that your aquarium is almost cycled. The hard part is almost over. ;)

And I wouldn't add anymore fish until this tank cycles. They could be acting like this because of the high nitrites.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
fishy perspective

They are hoping to make the odd fish leave, the bad water is obviously his fault!

You ought to have about 6 of the serpae tetras, eventually. Maybe just take the blackskirt back.

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
These fish will be going into a 46 gallon tank just as soon as the fishless cycle is done. Then I will be getting more serpaes. I had gotten all these fish before I really knew much about them. Now that I am learing I know I need more, but I can't really put more in my 10 gallon, especially since its not done cycling. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store