Slate Rock | Slate Stone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xoomer

AC Members
May 8, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
www.inkavenue.com
I need lots of slate stone for my new aquarium setup. I need loose rocks of different sizes. I know I can get them at Petland for $.99 per pound but when you need 200 pounds it just doesn't cut it. I'd rather spend money or other equipment. I heard one can buy it at a building supply store of some sort.

I live in Brooklyn, NY and can travel all over the city to get it. Do you know where they would have it?

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Such stone is redialy available at any store that sells "pavers" or other masonary.

xoomer

AC Members
May 8, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
www.inkavenue.com
Thats what I originally though. However, after visiting about 20 different stores I realized that I was wrong. None of these actually sell loose slate. They have something that they refer to as slate or "blue stone" but these are like even cement blocks that don't even resemble slate stone that you can purchase at LFS.

I would buy either burgundy or blue variety if I found it.

Also, the funny thing I noticed with all of these places I visited is that they would not recommend anybody who may have it. This is first time around that nobody I repeat nobody was willing to help. Are building suppliers bunch of @ss holes?

LoneWolf1Seven

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
Colo.
Visit site
How big are the pieces you need? If I dont need a particular size I go to landscape places, but if I do I go to a place that sells tile, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I install tile for a living and I save all of the scrap(marble, granite, slate) You can usually get a carton of 10 or 12 of slate 3/4 inch thick and 12" X 12" for around 34$. If you go that route then get what they call ungauged, That means it is'nt smothed on the face side, but is very rocky and with the help of a hammer and chisel you can create the shape you need...
Hope this helps......

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Try a landscaping/rock supply place. I only spent 14 dollars (Canadian) and got a pile of the stuff. They do tend to sell slate in larger pieces, but there is usually some pieces that are broken up. If anything, just buy a large piece, and break it up using a chisel and hammer.

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store