Substrates for plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FastFish

AC Members
Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I'm setting up a planted tank, something I haven't really been considering is, how important is the substrate? If I supplement the water with plant nutrients like Excel, will ordinary gravel be enough, or are organic substrates really necessary? And if I have medium-sized gravel already, can plants grow in that? Or is it too big?

Also, what do people on this forum use for their plant substrates?

Thanks,
-FastFish

snafu

AC Members
The biggest problem I found with gravel is keeping the plants down till they root. The best thing Ive used is Flourite made by Seachem. It is small enough to "pack" around the stem and hold it in place and stuff grows like crazy in it. Even small plants like dwarf hairgrass will stay put when you use tweezers to place it.
The downside is it is expensive. (20 bucks a bag)

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I've used several different kinds of substrates for my plant tanks (aquarium gravel, "sand" bag gravel, pool filter sand, onyx sand, flourite, etc.), and they all work just fine as a plant substrate. However, the best results from my root feeding plants came from flourite and onyx sand, both which are made by Seachem. Substrate supplementing with things like root tabs is not needed, and its a good source of iron (among other things) for your plants. There are other plant substrates out there as well, and I've heard of people with good experiences with them as well. Of all the substrates that I've used/experiemented with, I like Seachem's substrates the most, and will continue to use them until I find something better.

Ordinary substrates will have no problems in supporting a planted tank, over time as the substrate matures, enough organic matter will settle into the substrate to provide a good nutrient source for plants that rely on root feeding. Initially, however, you may need to supplement the substrate with root tabs to give it a kick start. Other people mix in laterite with ordinary substrates to also give it a good kick start.

As with all substrates... you need to do some prep work. Put a light dusting of peat moss over the bottom of your tank. Then (if possible), take the mulm sucked out of a healthy tank, and spread that over the peat moss layer. After which, put your substrate on top of that. Doing so should help in the maturation process of your substrate.

On another note, Excel shouldn't be used alone for plant fertillizing. Excel is mainly a source of organic carbon for plants. The same results achieved with Excel can be duplicated through the use of CO2 injection. I advise against using Excel, as CO2 injection will be much cheaper in the long run.

HTH
-Richer

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I'm a newcomer to planted aquariums myself, and have been having very good luck using a 50/50 flourite and gravel mix. I have 12 different kinds of plants in my 29 gal., and all (except for Red Ludwigia)have been growing nicely since I upgraded my lighting. I haven't even been dosing ferts since my plants are growing quite well without it. Flourite is a bit expensive, but well worth the $$ IMO.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I dont know. I have very bad luck with regular aquarium gravel. It seems that the plants never have a chance to take root because the get pushed up. I keep putting them back down in the gravel but this is almost a weekly basis. My other plants do fine that are in other forms of substrate. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store