50 gallon cichlid tank help me with clean up crew.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
i am setting up a 50 gallon cichlid tank soon and i need suggestions for a clean up crew. Im looking into yellow labs, electric blue johannis, auratus, socolofi, bumblebee, kenyi, acei, and venustus cichlids. i need a crew that will live with them well.
i was interested in....
-red tailed sharks
-bala sharks
-rainbow sharks
-common pleco(already have it, it needs a bigger tank then what its in now)
-clown loaches
-cories

devise a clean up crew for this tank and the only 2 requirements are that the pleco needs to be in the tank since i already have it, and the fish can not out grow the tank.
thanx

DHR

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
New York
Visit site
Most of the choices you mention prefer different water conditions than are optimal for your Africans. There are catfish that that will, but I'm not familiar enough to recommend.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
You are not going to be able to combine all those Africans in a 50g tank. Especially the Kenyii's, I don't know if you have kept Africans before but those are NASTY suckers. The main good catfish/clean up crew are any of the armored cats as they can defend themselves. The Bala's will grow far too large for a 50, your Common Pleco will also grow too large for a 50, Clown Loaches also need a bigger tank. I would go with your pleco then maybe 1-2 Cories and that is it. They might not even live with those Africans. I don't have experience with the larger much more aggressive Africans, I wanted to steer clear of those as I have many saltwater tanks with highly aggressive fish. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
i wasnt planning on have all of those at once i havent worked the plans out in stone so i just wanted to leave a general guideline. ive also heard about not having the kenyis from a lot of people so i guess im takin them off the list.
thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store