Aquarium PROBLEM :|

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
Hey,

I have a new aquarium it is 5ft x 1ft and i had 2 sterlets (sturgeon)which died and 2 koi carp which survived.

I cant think of any reason this cud be i have a 2800 lph filter working and many air pumps and a undergravel filter working.
On the top of my aquairum water i notice small white bubbles build up on the water i used this de chlorine thing to take the chlorine out of the water, when i came back in one night i noticed the sterlet with a curled tail still breathing but cudnt swim this soon died.
My water is quite cloudy and i also do a 20-30% water change per week iv had for tanks for about 3-4 weeks now.

i have no live plants.

thanks for reading

Ste

snafu

AC Members
have you tested the water for ammonia? nitrite?
if you dont have a test kit, take a sample to your local pet store and have them test it...
we need more info on water conditions...

Lil_Joe

Registered Member
Apr 21, 2004
Visit site
Re:

Hey Man , sorry to hear about your fish.

First off I think your aquarium hasn't been running long enough to start adding fish, especially the bioload you added.

You should have let your tank cycle for at least 2-3 weeks preferably longer before adding the fish and not introduce the fish all at the same time.

What's done is done, but those bubbles at the top of your tank are more than likely because you keep changing the water. In essence by changing the water in your aquarium so frequently you are not letting it become established and not allowing for the proper bacterial levels to take care of the ammonia level's.

As another poster mentioned you should have your water parameters measured.

Good luck and don't be so hasty, you will enjoy this hobby much more with a little patience.

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
Hey yeh thanks for reading,

I had my water tested and it turned out good they said at the store i think it was like ph 8.0 (bluey green colour) but i must get the ammonia test kit as ive been reading about the ammonia build up.

I still have 2 koi carp in here still in the aquarium should i leave the water to cycle for a few more weeks until i start changing?
and could you also tell me the best recommended way to setup my aquarium for the sturgeon plants or no plants etc.

thanks

-Ste

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
also, you may want to look into returning the koi. They don't do well in aquariums, but ponds rather. An aquarium would work, but you'd need a pretty larger one (200+ gallons). Also, are you using water conditioner? An RO unit (reverse osmosis)? Your water is a little too hard to be keeping Koi in, you might want to think about getting fish that like hard water with a high Ph or you're going to be continuously returning to the store for new fish.

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
if my tank is 5ft x 1ft x 1.5ft how many litres/gallons do i have? in UK i know its different than in the states and canada. Could you please tell me what reverse osmosis is? and water conditioner and can i buy these from the pet stores that will help these problems?
I am still learning about aquariums and the water cycles involved.

Thanks

-Ste

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
If it is a rectangular tank:
60"X12"X18" then divide by 231 gives 56.1 gallons which equates to 212.4 liters.

Ste36

AC Members
May 9, 2004
blackpool, england
Visit site
Hey thanks

I done a nitrate test on my tank and it turned out that there is alot of nitrate in there i also notice that there is a thin slimy coat on the inside of my aquarium glass...algae?

Could you please tell me how to get rid of the nitrate and algae and hopefully once the cycle has started make my tank a safe place for these fish.

Could you tell me if plants would make a difference as im considering in getting them.

Thanks for your help

-Ste

fishlvr

still doesn't have a clue...
Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
water changes, water changes, water changes will get rid of the nitrates. and once nitrates are under control, the algae will be also.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
With those messy fish and a new tank I would be doing daily water changes with a water conditioner. The koi are surviving becuase they are pretty tough but no need to make them suffer when a water change of 20% or so a day will help. The pH and hard water won't hurt them that much so I wouldn't worry and a R/O unit is really only for Saltwater tanks. It strips out all the hardness from water and unless you add stuff back in is no good. When the Koi start to get bigger you might want to trade them in. Fancy goldfish might be a better choice if you like goldfish / carp. Even a standard comet will do better in that size tank.

Also koi are coldwater fish so you really should have the heater turned up too much. Below 70F (20C) is the way to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store