How much base rock, how much live rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

airbrnebkr

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
I have a 55 gallon tank I am turning into a reef tank. I was wondering if someone had some suggestions on how much live rock I should use and how much base rock. I have heard recommendations that for a 55 gal tank you would want 110 lbs of rock total. I have also heard that the live rock will seed the base rock and it too will eventually be live rock. I am picking up 20lbs of live rock on thursday and have access to some base rock just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions so I knew how much base rock to get and if I should get some more live rock.
Thanks,
Doug

ben72227

AC Members
Jun 21, 2003
Arkansas
id go 50/50 on that and get half live rock and half base rock. also, maybe im wrong here, but 110 seems like a lot for a 55 gallon.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
How much base and how much live is purely a financial decision.

If you can afford all live then go for it. If not then yes, the base rock will become seeded- in time.

FWIW I have about 50-60 lbs I don't need sitting in a bucket in my garage. Coming to Ft. Lauderdale anytime soon?

benjen

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Minnesota (USA)
Visit site
Wierd...

I thought I had made a post on this subject. It's gone though, so either I forgot to actually hit submit or something else happened to it.

Something like 2lbs per gallon but I don't know so?

Long story short, my reading online seems to suggest that you need less rock if it in more porous. Surface area counts for live rock. A few varieties of live rock are even recommended online at rates as low as 3/4 lb per gallon, while TBS recommends 2 lbs per gallon. I'm personally going with 1.5 as my own rule of thumb as I set up my tank (as I am also a newbie).

I'd just say to look at your rock. If it is as porous as tufa, you don't need so much. If it has less indentation or is really dense, you'll need a lot more. If it looks like a chunk of quartz, I don't think it's very useful.

Live Aquaria lists about how many lbs per gallon you'd want with a few varieties of liverock, just to give you an idea. The denser it is, the more you need by weight. I'm currently looking at Premium Aquatics as a potential source for my live rock, because the shipping would be less for my situation and I've heard a few good things about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store