how long will silicon last?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
how long does the silicon of aquarium last?
i'm planning to buy 2 2nd hand 7 footer tanks..
should the silicon be changed?
or is it ok to jsyt use the aquarium when i get it?
it has no leaks.. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check and make sure the silicon is still attached to the glass. It can come loose if aggressively scraped, o rif the tank spent a long time dry exposed to serious temperature fulctuations. Otherwise, I have a 15 gallon tank that is at least 15+ years old, and it's in great shape, no problems.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks!

Originally posted by OrionGirl
Check and make sure the silicon is still attached to the glass. It can come loose if aggressively scraped, o rif the tank spent a long time dry exposed to serious temperature fulctuations. Otherwise, I have a 15 gallon tank that is at least 15+ years old, and it's in great shape, no problems.
\

i'll check the silicon on friday...
i'm considering having it resiliconed, or additional braces:)

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Hey, why hasn't happychem come along to point out that silicone and silicon are two different things?

Hrm...he should have had an inorganic chem teacher talk about that typical mistake at some point.

Just giving you guys are hard time.

FWIW silicone lasts for a long time, but it's probably a good idea to check it out anyway due to stress that the tank may have encountered.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
hahah

Originally posted by IndianaSam
Hey, why hasn't happychem come along to point out that silicone and silicon are two different things?

Hrm...he should have had an inorganic chem teacher talk about that typical mistake at some point.

Just giving you guys are hard time.

FWIW silicone lasts for a long time, but it's probably a good idea to check it out anyway due to stress that the tank may have encountered.

hahah thanks for the correction... :D
guess i like to type everthing in shortcut... heheh:)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store