HELP sick oranda + dead shrimp!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
i have a small oranda, a fancy goldfish and a black moore in a 3.5 gal tank with a few guppies and a few ghost shrimp. the fish usually eat the shrimp so i added 5 more yesterday. i came home today and all of the shrimp were dead and my oranda has a giant white spot on her head. i put her in a hospital tank and am going to take her back to my dorm tonight to try and treat her. right after i seperated her, a chunk of her tail fell off! (i was extremely gentle handling her so i know i did not do it.) i am not exactly sure what the spot on her head is though-whether it is fungal or bacterial though. none of my orandas have ever been sick so i am not sure what it is. at my dorm i have coppersafe, kanacyn, maricide, maracyn 2 and bettamax. can anyone recommend what i should use or do i need to buy something else? i dont have any medicines here at home so i just put a little extra aquarium salt in her tank. PLEASE HELP!

(i also changed 100% of the water in the other tank. the other fish are fine. 1 shrimp is still alive.):sick:

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I'm almost 100% sure it is a water quality issue.
You are very/extremely/seriously overcrowded- the worst case of overcrowding I have seen in a while.
Medications are not the answer- clean water is.

It is recommended that Goldfish have at least 20 gallons per fish- they are large bodied heavy waste producing fish.
They are also unsuitable tankmates for guppies (need different temperatures) and shrimp (shrimp will eventually get lodged in the Goldfishes mouth).
So you can see how your setup needs some work to be made suitable for the creatures you have assumed responsibility for.

If you could invest just a few bucks on a larger tank you could make the Goldfish happy and keep everything else in the tiny tank. It needn't be a fancy aquarium- just bigger!
I really do not see a way to keep that Goldfish in that size container and expect it to improve. If larger quarters are out of the question then I'd be looking for a new, proper home for the Goldfish- it would be a kindness for them.

Here is an excellent site that descusses the minimum essentials needed to keep Goldfish happy and healthy.
And this (on the same site) is a list of symptoms and diseases.

But again- clean water is the best tool for recovery. All the medications in the world cannot help a fish kept in severely substandard conditions.

jacblades

May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
i knew someone would say that. it is not a water quality issue. i am very meticulous with my water. they have all been in that size tank for a long time and none has ever gotten sick. the water is very clean and i had just changed it the day before she got that thing on her head. the guppies do fine in there, except for the occasional one that the goldfish eat. i was actually in the process of cycling a bigger tank for them to go in but they will not go in it until im sure theyre all ok. someone in an oranda forum told me to use the kanacyn and she seems to be doing all right with it. thanks anyways.
+jac+

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
How about you go out and invest in Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate test strips and report back to us letting us know the readings. I would be willing to bet, if this tank is even cycled, that the nitrate readings are THROUGH the roof. Ammonia levels are more than likely present, and the lives of your fish is a ticking time bomb...

These fish (Goldfish) reach 10-12+ inches and create so much waste that it is a task for people like myself who even have 55 gallon aquariums to keep up with the water quality. I couldn't imagine the condition these fish are in if they are in a bowl. :shake:

I dont know what else to tell you, I mean you think your O.K. and that this tank (bowl?) is fine for these fish. Lets not bring up the issue that the fish will be stunted and wont reach more than an inch! :mad2

Did you know that if given the proper room/living conditions, Goldfish can live 15 years average, and 20 years isnt uncommon.

Last edited:

jacblades

May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
well i changed 100% of the water as soon as i saw that she was sick and took out the gravel, plant, and ornament and scrubbed everyhting clean. my water conditions are excellent.
i do have test kits but do not use them because my fish rarely die. i havent had a fish die in over a year.-and i have lots of fish. i was just asking for help on my oranda because the white spot was on her wen and i wasnt sure if there was anything special i should do because of that .
i know that tank is small for its inhabitants but i take extremely good care of my fish-my life revolves around fish!
as for giving them away-i do not know anyone who would take better care of them than me. i do not know anyone who would like a 60 gallon tank with 3 tiny fish. i could put them outside in one of my ponds but i know they are too fragile for outdoors and the larger fish would beat them up.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
well i changed 100% of the water as soon as i saw that she was sick and took out the gravel, plant, and ornament and scrubbed everyhting clean. my water conditions are excellent.
You've just destroyed a large portion of your biological filter.

i do have test kits but do not use them because my fish rarely die. i havent had a fish die in over a year.-and i have lots of fish. i was just asking for help on my oranda because the white spot was on her wen and i wasnt sure if there was anything special i should do because of that .
If you do have test kits please post your current readings- ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Please.
You've asked for help- we need test results to even begin to discuss what is going on.
You need to know your own test results.
Fishkeepers never have so much experience that testing is not necessary. You cannot look at water and know what is in there- you must test. The first thing we do when something looks wrong is run a set of water tests. Have you done that?
Even if you refuse to disclose the results to us (because they are in filthy water)- do it for the fish. So you know what is going on

i know that tank is small for its inhabitants but i take extremely good care of my fish-my life revolves around fish!
No- you don't take good care of your fish- you are torturing these Goldfish.
It is comparable to you, your brother, and six dogs living in one small bathroom for the rest of your life. Sure, so you can turn around- you'll be fine for the next 50 years, right?

as for giving them away-i do not know anyone who would take better care of them than me. i do not know anyone who would like a 60 gallon tank with 3 tiny fish. i could put them outside in one of my ponds but i know they are too fragile for outdoors and the larger fish would beat them up.
Putting these fish in your pond would be the best choice.
Sure beats where they are living now.

Let me be blunt- it is impossible to keep two Goldfish, "a few" guppies and "a few" ghost shrimp healthy in a 3.5 gallon container.
Impossible- no matter how often you change the water or how hard you try. It is an bad situation.

jacblades

May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
when i said that i changed the water-i meant that i could no longer test it. but i am positive it was not the water.

You've just destroyed a large portion of your biological filter.
and all of the bacteria that caused her the infection.

QUOTE]No- you don't take good care of your fish- you are torturing these Goldfish.[/QUOTE]
if you are going to take that stand then you are a hypocrite because according to that-all fish kept by hobbyists are being tortured. Think how big the ocean is and to try and reduce living quarters of a marine fish to a tank maybe 55 or 120 gals. would you justify that as torture? no-probably not. you would say "i take good care of my fish-i feed them a variety of foods, heal them when they are sick, make sure water parameters are similar to those in their natural habitat, change the water, and i take care that larger fish do not pick on them."

if this stand is to be taken-then all the fishkeeping hobby is torture, and for what? because we are selfish and want to have a pretty aquarium in our house to look at. even you are guilty of that.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I think a lot of experienced fishkeepers push the limits a little here and there, and I try to avoid judging others' practices too harshly. However, that little tank is jam-packed. If I were to guess, I'd say that the attention you have given them has kept them alive, but the stress of living in that much waste has finally started to become evident.

One thing you should consider is at least moving up to a bigger tank. Tanks are relatively cheap, and the upkeep will be less. Even going to a 10 gallon would help.

jacblades

May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
because i changed it the day before and i changed it 2 days before that. i did pour a little bit of water from the bag with shrimp into the tank and im pretty sure thats where the bacteria came from.

However, that little tank is jam-packed.
i was actually in the process of cycling a bigger tank for them to go in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store