A question on dropsy.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
1) How long does it take to kill an fish, based on your experience.
2) It is not curable. Anyone have success with combating dropsy w/o the use of meds because they don't work. How?

thanks
i have a female guppy that i thought was pregnant, gave birth to two babies, and then has been looking lethargic, and showing signs of dropsy (abdominal scales stick out at 25-30 degree angle, long transparent droppings, lethargy)

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
forgot to add that this fish has been like this for about a week

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Dropsy is curable. I've had fish with it in the past, Just realize they won't be the best looking fish you've ever had after it. It screws em up pretty bad. Mardel labs has a very good med, IMO. It saved my goldfish. Unfortunatly one passed away about 2 months ago but the other is okay. It's been about a year now so that says something. Again, don't expect it to be the sportiest model. I don't expect this one to live more than another year. It tears em up pretty good.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
heh guppies typically don't live too long to boot.

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
I had a paradise fish die of dropsy at Christmas time. I also thought she was egg laden (they were a pair) and that she just wasn't laying because my air wand prevented the male from building a bubble nest. But then she got the pinecone scales. I separated her out and kept an eye on her. 3 days from the point that her scales went pinecone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store