Stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
Okay, so currently in what will soon be a fairly heavily planted 50 gallon tank are 3 yo yo loaches, a bristlenose pleco, and seven zebra danios. Filtration is a Filstar XP2 and an Emperor 280. If I was to add a pair of dwarf cockatoo cichlids, would there be room still for 3 upsidedown catfish without this being overstocked? Right now the tank seems fairly empty, and the loaches won't get that much bigger than they are.

If the catfish won't work for whatever reason, what else might you suggest for mid/top levels of the aquarium?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
overstocked bio-load, no. Overstocked territory, I don't know. I'm not sure how compatible these fish are but you wouldn't be overloaded in regards to bio-load. Kyle

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
Yeah, I was pretty sure the bioload would be fine with the plants and plenty of filtration. It's more of the territorial overstocking with which I am concerned. I'd hate to have to purchase a bigger tank later (not really, but I'd rather not buy one out of necessity).

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
the problem I would look for would be between the cichlids/ yo-yo's and upside downs. being heavily planted will definitely help. I would think if you had plenty of hiding places and lots of plants, they would be ok but I've never kept any of these. I know rams don't care for bottom dwellers like loaches and cories so I'm assuming the cockatoo's would be the same but if you can make a flower-pot(s) or caves an area for them to defend, I would think they'd leave the loaches alone. the upside-downs (depending on the actual species) would be a toss-up I think. There again, I'm just going from the little bit I've read and seen and have no experience with these. Kyle

Ken

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
I have upside-down catfish with my rusty cichlids and they don't bother each other.

I think the upside-downs have poisonous spines, and other fish know it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store