weird room ac question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captshiner

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Visit site
ok, this is probably going to seem odd to some of you. theres this spot in my room thats kind of empty, and i have a 5 gallon tank sitting around so i thought why not..but as the summer approaches in ny its going to get hot and the air conditioning is going in pretty soon. the air condition would go on only at night before bed. i'd probably just put a goldfish or two in the tank.

some info
the heater (as it says on it) is 100 watts 60 hz and 120 va.c (dunno what that is) from what i remember it was made for a 10 -20 gal tank.

the air conditioner is 5400 BTU's in a room something about 15 x 13 foot room, its pretty small.

is the change in temperature going to be too drastic that it kills the fish? i don't feel like setting stuff up if its going to be a waste of time. thanks for the help.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Why not get a 25w heater for it? Goldfish get too big for a 5 gal but you could put some small tropicals in there and a good heater like the Hagen 6" and it should be a good set up, I wouldthink.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Forget the heaters

Goldfish are a bad idea for a 5 gallon. As previously mentioned the do get quite big. They also tend to be pigs and the water quality will drop quite fast. You will have a really dirty tank or will be doing water changes every few days to keep it clean.

Why not just forget about the heater and go with some of the smaller cold water species.

A small group of White Cloud mountain minnows (Tanichthys albonubes)

Zebra danios (Brachydanio rerio) can also tolerate in cooler water.

Or even a paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis)

Good luck.

captshiner

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Visit site
ok, but without the heater is the air conditioning in the room at night going to affect the fish? the ac is not on during the day.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Stay clear of cold water fish (which includes goldfish). The high daily temps will mean lower oxygen levels which is what they need.

I would suggest that the best fish option would be 4 neon tetras. They love hot water and the heater will keep things up at night. 4 are pretty small and will not over load the tank. Neons are often weaker fish so the beginning of the tank will be a lot fo work. You will probably have to do daily water changes to keep ammonia levels down in the first few weeks.

Otherwise a single betta and some live plants makes for a great tank, and they are hardy enough to survive the higher tank temps due to their ability to breathe air.

Read the stickies in the newbie section. They are filled with great information and I have learned a lot from them.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Sorry

I misread the original post.

I thought I saw that the AC would be on all the time not just the night.

Sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store