what kind of fish should I get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 20g wide tank with 2 corys and an otto. I had a pair of dwarf gouramis but they both died unfortunatly. Im looking for either 1 fish or a pair of fish to replace my gouramis. I like fish that are smart, interesting and are not shy. Any suggestions?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I think mollies or platies are your best bet, plus you could get a m/f pair and they'll breed like mad in there. Kyle

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
dwarf puffer, and you could safely keep a smallish group of about 4 or 5 with your current set up. Petsmart (yes, I know, the dreaded petstore in a box) carry them for $2 each, so they are also inexpensive. They are curious, intelligent, and most definitely NOT shy. Closest thing to puppies, I've had in my tanks. They do like plants for hiding, otherwise they tend to exercise vertically (i.e. swim up and down next to the glass gazing at their own reflections). Small (max at a n inch each) but bunches of fun. check out Jeremy's site at www.dwarfpuffers.com

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
i just got two rainbowfish today from a garage sale (interesting isnt it? the guy was moving across the country so he couldnt take them). i have never kept rainbows before but i spent an hour straight just watching them. they are very curious and playful. my cat came up to the tank and started swatting at the glass. they came right up to him and seemed to find him very interesting. (not necessarily a good thing) :)they have been swimming in circles and doing flips. whatever one does, the other does too ( i guess since they are schooling fish). i have never had any fish this playful. but i have not had them long enough to know any bad sides. (hopefully there are none)

i also have a large oranda in a tank by himself and he follows me when i walk past the tank. he will even eat from my hand. hes very interesting:)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would look at getting some new cories and maybe ottos. They like company. Then a male betta is always a pleasure to watch in a larger tank. Or else a paradise fish (a bigger slightly more aggressive version of a betta) is a very cool choice if you can find it.

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
Originally posted by snakeskinner
I think mollies or platies are your best bet, plus you could get a m/f pair and they'll breed like mad in there. Kyle
I used to have a pufferfish (it was one of my first fish) and it nipped the fins of my Bala Sharks, is that common for them? If so, just keep that in mind. Terretorial.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Puffer fish are very nippy and will easily pick on any other fish, especially those with large fins. If to be kept in a community tank it should probably be a big one with lots of space. Plus they really need live food, at least in the beginning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store