More ich questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Okay, the ich parasites have all dropped off of my fish so I removed them and placed them in a large tote filled with UNMEDICATED water. I then added a very large amount of salt to the tank (I'd say about a pound) and turned the heater all the way up. The temperature peaked at about 90 degrees, however I had to lower the temperature to 80 degrees because the heater was malfunctioning. I have no way of measuring the salinity (the only hydrometer I have is for checking antifreeze).

How long will this take to neutralize the ich in the tank?

How long should I wait before returning the tank to normal WATER conditions?

How long after that should I wait before adding my starter cycle (for me this is a single bunch of Anarchais and a feeder goldfish)?

How long after that should I wait before adding the rest of my fish and the new plants?

How long do I have to wait to see if the ich is off of my fish? (the current residents of the tote are two goldfish, two common plecos, four feeder guppies, and a white cloud that jumped out of my 18-gallon and landed in the saline 20-gallon just last night).

Would the kill period be faster if I added more salt?

Thank you, I appreciate any help with this problem, and let's hope it ends soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Raising the temp to 86 is important to actually killing the parasite. You'll likely want to add some serious aeration--the cool water fish will not like the higher temps, and may start gasping at the surface without some supplemental aeration.

For treatment, I would maintain them in the heat and salt for 2 weeks. If you can't stabilize the temp, increase this to 4 weeks.

For the main tank, just feed it some ammonia each day, and you will not need to re-cycle, the bacteria will remain happy and healthy.

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
If I am reading your post correctly, you removed fish from a tank to a tote, and then treated an empty tank for Ich?
If that is the case--
Treating the tank was unnecessary. Ich, an obligate parasite, will die without a fish host. All Ich tomonts (mature parasites) and theronts (infectious swarmers), will die in a few days without fish to continue their life cycle. All that needed to be done was wait (maybe a week, without doing anything).

The fish in the tote may become reinfected by theronts, unless the previous treatment was effective in killing them off.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation.

Bill

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I probaly should have stated this clearer, but what has been said is still useful.

I am trying to sterilize the afflicted tank. I don't mind doing the "fishy" cycle again, I have plenty of goldfish that I can move around. The fish proper have no visable parasites, however I plan on treating them with salt ASAP. The main tank is currently at 80 degrees, and I plan on raising that another 10 degrees. I added half a package of table salt (about a pound), and plan on doing a 100% water change when I'm sure the parasites are dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store