Restocking the 20-long...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
For the moment this is all hypothetical, because I'm still sterilizing the tank... After I get this tank restarted I would like to set it up with many plants and a variety of South American fishes and I would like some adivce...

1: The guarinteed residents of this tank are the two common plecos, four feeder guppies (these I got as newt food and added them to the 20 for the pictus catfish before they all died), two common goldfish (at least until I can find a new home for them), two white clouds (from the 18-high, so I can fet more neons). Other than the obvious problems of the fish's origin and having four potentially large fish in there are there any other obvious problems (and please, I know that goldfish are coldwater)?

2: I want to get pictus catfish again (most likely just two). I also want to put some sort of tetras in there. What kinds of tetras are pictus-safe? And are my white clouds safe?

3: What kinds of plants are pleco-resistant?

4: How many plants do I need to balance the bioload I am contemplating? (the absolute maximum I will allow before I begin segregation is two 8-inch plecos, two 5-inch pictus, a single 6-inch goldfish and up to six tetras). And in the mean time is there such a thing as too many plants (I don't want to have to add CO2 and ammonia to the water)?

5: Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Again, since this is still up in the air I'd appreciate any hints or comments. Bear in mind I want this to be a catfish tank, and everything else is optional. Thanks.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
wow, sounds like a pretty lethal mix. I've never kept pictus but from what I've read, the guppies, white clouds and all but the largest tetras would just be food for them. you already know the pleco's need to go, the goldfish and whiteclouds are cold water and most south americans are warmer water fish. I am keeping whiteclouds in warmer water with no problems though. Personally, I would find a new home for the pleco's and goldfish, drop the pictus idea and start from there. Are you thinking cichlids or something? You could leave the guppies and whiteclouds in and add a pair or trio of most dwarf cichlids and probably add some tetras if you are planted well. Kyle

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
I will atest to the whole pictus cat thing. I had one that I finally had to get rid of. He was 6 inches in a 20 gallon and just about destroyed all the other fish. He was very aggressive. My pleco and him would fight constantly to the point where the plecos fins were completely tattered and frayed. I could find no fish store or friend to take the pictus so I had to put him out of the tanks misery.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I had really wanted the pictus, but I am hearing more and more bad things about them. I do want a catfish of similar style though... A couple addeums to above:

The goldfish are now temporary residents for sure (only until I am certain they are ich free)

The guppies were added AS PICTUS FOOD! Again, they are mostly there because they were exposed to ich.

I am looking for a catfish that resembles a channel cat but doesn't get much bigger than a pictus. Is there such a thing that won't eat all my other fish?

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
to my knowledge all the "catfish looking" catfish are very predatious in nature and will eat anything as big or smaller than there head. I could be mistaking but that is to the best of my knowledge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store