Which Fish can handle temp fluctuations?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I'm thinking about stocking my 10g which currently houses one male Dwarf Frog.

Only problem is the temperature fluctuates a fair bit. I've been fiddling with the heater and I managed to get it to 75. But it does drop at night, last night it was 72. And currently it's at 74. The temp changes are fairly gradual but they can change as much as 4 degrees up or down.

Are there any fish that would be ok with the temp changes? The frog doesn't seem to mind. And I had a Betta in there and he didn't seem to mind it either. But this is my son's aquarium and he doesn't want another Betta. I was thinking Neon's or Guppies but I'm not sure how they would fair with the temp changes?

Unless you all have some idea's for small interesting fish? I have soft well water with a PH of 6.6.. I really do not want to mess with the water..

Thanks,
Linda

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Neons won't work in it.

Guppies would be a good choice, I've heard of people breeding them in rain barrels in the summer, and the temp would vary in there from day to night.

Just remember... all one sex, or expect a lot of fish to appear.

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
Some livebearers, guppies included, can and will change gender if kept in a same sex environment...

I would think anything from danio's to whiteclouds and any strain of a more hardy tetra (not cardinals or neons) would do well in that setup, even with the fluctuations.

Cheers,
Raithan O. Ellis

Last edited:

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
Yup

White Clouds might not be the prettiest things, but they survive the fluctuations in my tank just fine.

Which can go from 76 to 84 in any one day, just depends on the temp outside.

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
...the long finned variety of the white cloud mountain minnows are an attractive fish, IMO. I think they can be found easily in most areas if one is willing to pay a moderate price @ $6-12/per.

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Thanks all. :)

I checked for White Clouds and can't find any. I only have 2 small local stores. So the selection is limited. :(

Looks like I'll go with the fancy guppies since they are somewhat colorful. I'm tired of people asking me why I have a tank setup and nothing in it. LOL The little frog is hard to spot. It would be nice though to see 'something' swimming around in there.

Now the question is how many?

I also don't mind if they breed. Just an excuse to setup my 5g for the fry.. LOL Plus I have a pair of oscars that would gladly take care of the babies for me. ;)

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Well the oscars beckon. Get 6 females and 3 males and watch out. You'll have a bunch of em soon.

I only feed my osacrs fry/minnows once a month. Really just a treat.

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I actually have never given my oscars feeders. But since these will be raised by me I figure a few here and there won't hurt. The lfs said he'd take some babies also.. so that takes care of all the fry.

Thanks all... The lfs said they only have 2 males and 4 females left.. so I told him to hold them for me and I'm going to go have a look. Hopefully they still look good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store