Aw Help Please What Is Wrong

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
My fish all of a sudden have started moving slowly and not active and my bala shark started acting crazy and died. Now my beta has started barely moving and I just looked and he is about to die. I checked 2 days ago and everything was fine. Like the nitrite and such. i dont know how it would have gone up. What could be wrong? My blue gourami has been acting slow to. I am afraid he is about to die.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
80. Dont have the exact ones but nitrite is just about 0 and and nitrate might be just a little more then 0. 0.25 I think.29 gallon. I will get the water tested tomorrow.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
Well got up the today. I cant find my beta, my bamboo shrimp AND ANgel fish is dead. ARG THIS IS MAKING ME MADE

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
First of all, calm down.

Secondly, we can't help too much unless we have specifics on your tank's parameters.

Angelfish and bala sharks are two species that get way too big for a 29 gallon tank, just as an aside.

When you checked the water 2 days ago, what exactly were the readings?

Ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature

How long has the tank been set up?

Have you noticed signs of aggression?

Are there any physical marks/parasites/bleeding/abnormalities on the fish?

Any and all information you can give would help us to better help you.

Thanks for your time :)

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
I believe PH was 8.4 I think. Nitrite was 0 and nitrate was a little high. .25? Maybe. Ammonia I am sure was normal and temperature is 80. I have a 29 gallon tank. I know bala sharks get big and I was planning on getting rid of them when they get to big. All the fish have been acting normal. And the last time I added a fish was a week ago, maybe 2 weeks. Tank has been up for a month, maybe 6 weeks. Thank you for your help. This is just frusterating me.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Hmmm...

Well, your ph is fairly high... have any idea what it is at the store you bought the fish from?

Have you added any kind of chemical to the tank, for any reason?

It sounds for the life of me like New Tank Syndrome (ammonia poisoning/nitrite poisoning/ph shock or any combination of the two that generally happens in a new tank that is being cycled with fish...), but your readings on your tank don't indicate that. You really need to whip out the test kits and get us some up to the minute stats...

Also, I may have forgotten to ask... what all is in the tank? Fish-wise, unusual decorations (i.e., ones that didn't come from the store... rocks you found in the yard or the river, driftwood, etc...), anything and everything you can tell us will be helpful :)

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
Well of course the 2 blue gouramis, beta, angel fish, my bamboo shrimp was actually alive, crab, and 3 algae eaters. I have the usual decorations and some sort of rock we got at a fish store. i dont have any test strips but I am going to petco today or tomorrow so I will see. I have not added any chemicals lately.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
that sounds like quite a bit of fish for that size of a tank, depending upon how large they are...

when you say algae eater.... do you mean plecostamus, chinese algae eaters, siamese algae eaters? Plecos are horribly messy fish...

I'm not sure what to make of the deaths, other than maybe overcrowding or just general N.T.S.... we'll see what the readings tell us...

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
1 Algae eater and 2 flying foxes. The biggest fish I have is like 3 or 4 inches and that is the shark. They are all about 2-3 except for the algae eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store