Enough filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blacksheep

AC Members
Sep 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
I have just set up a 45 gal. tank. I used filters off existing tanks, I took down. The 45 now has a Fluval 104, 125 GPH, and a Whisper, 200 GPH. Is this enough filtration, or do I need to invest in a new bigger filter? There will be 2 severums in the 45, not much else. Would appreciate some advise and opions.

Anna

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hmmm... well all together, you have a turnover rate of roughly 5x's. This isn't too terribly bad, but it isn't what most prefer either. I like to have an 8-10x turnover rate in my own aquariums. Furthermore, for something like a 45 gallon aquarium, 2 filters might be a little too "in the way" or visible if you know what I mean.

jonah

new old member
Dec 1, 2002
Oklahoma
petsforum.com
Originally posted by Blacksheep
I have just set up a 45 gal. tank. I used filters off existing tanks, I took down. The 45 now has a Fluval 104, 125 GPH, and a Whisper, 200 GPH. Is this enough filtration, or do I need to invest in a new bigger filter? There will be 2 severums in the 45, not much else. Would appreciate some advise and opions.

Anna
Unless you're keeping something messy like oscars or goldfish, 7x turnover will be more than enough. I wouldn't worry about keeping 2 severums with your turnover level. Just make sure you keep on top of the water changes and they'll be fine. I wouldn't add any more fish though.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
It would be a 5x turnover, not 7.

But I agree, I dont think the poster has much to worry about, however if they add anything to the aquarium in the future they might want to invest in a new filter which can handle the load all by itself. ;)

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by aquariumfishguy
It would be a 5x turnover, not 7.

What did I miss? How did you compute a 5x instead of 7. Granted, I usually cut the gph in half but (200 + 125) / 45 = 7.2. Even 200 / 45 = 4.4 and 125 / 45 = 2.7. Please help me out here!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hmmm thats a good question. Sorry, yeah I did the calculations last night when looking at this thread and I got 2.3 and 3.1 or something like that. So I added it up and it came out to about 5x.

Now that I go back and redo the calculations, it does indeed come out to 7x. Your right, this is plenty filtration for the aquarium you have. And I am sorry for the mix-up. :p

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
The 5x turnover is probably closer to reality, though, because the GPH ratings given by the manufacturer are overly optimistic, and pertain only to perfect conditions with no filter media. As LongTime noted, you should cut the GPH estimate down considerably for real-world conditions. I'd lowball even the 5x estimate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store