Which fish for my 30 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dewey115

AC Members
May 15, 2004
Omaha, NE
Visit site
Well this is my first post so how about a small intro? :p I used to have many fish tanks when I was a kid (I am 23 now) so I understand the general ideas that most of you would take for granted, but I never was really into things like cycling and water testing, I never put that much effort into it. Overall it all went well, not many fish died or anything, but I only went and bought some of the pretty tetras and stuff like that, nothing complicated by any means. I have been reading up constantly on pretty much everything I could over the past month while my 30 gallon tank has been cycling (and I want to get started on the right foot, not have to change out fish and stuff later). I plan on getting a bigger tank in the next few months or so (while I build the canopy and stand... I like DIY stuff, its a hobby :)). Overall I work alot and this is partly for my son to look at (he is 2) so "pretty fish" is one of the priorities. He doesn't care about anything other than how fun they are to watch for the minute and a half they entertain him. I have been making a little list of some of the fish I would like, so I would appreciate ANY comments or ideas any of you have. Firstly my gf likes plecos but I dont want to get one that will outgrow the tank, is there a type that will stay small enough for this tank?
My other thoughts for considerations are:

About 3 Clown Louchs
6 or so of a type of tetra (haven't decided on the type)
Maybe a dwarf gourami or two?
small school of tiger barbs?
2 angel fish?

I know generally about them, but I haven't read much about peoples experiences with them. I dont plan on all of them but I am asking more for suggestions of which fish you would pick, ones to avoid, good choices, bad choices etc... any help would be
appreciated

Dewey

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
lets see. id say no on the clown loaches as to the size they get. mabye 1 angel would fit in there with a few others. a clown pleco stays under 4" as do alot of others, just look on planet catfish. a school of tigers could be nice but youll need to watch out for their nippy behavior.

corie cats are fun little fish suited for a community tank. apistos and krib cichlids are small, colorfull and have amusing personalities.

heres what ive got in my 30

2 kribs
4 rasboras
3 cories
2 kuhlis
1 female apisto ( the male died awhle back )
and some amano shrimp.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Angels and Clown Loaches get pretty big. A 30 gallon might be fine (as was mentioned) for a single Angel but you will have to be careful what you put with it. Small fish like neons could become a meal. MOre aggressive fish like barbs can end up nipping the Angel's long fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store