Let's Stock the Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I'm always interested in opinions so...
Just to keep it simple, when I say "school" I mean about 7 to 10 fish.
The 55 gal has a supreme aquamaster and an fluval 203. The input of the fluval and one of the input siphons of the aquamaster power an UG. I know I'm going to put in a betta and a school neons, a pleco that won't get too big and about 4 cory cats. Any other ideas? Of course, I don't want the bettas fins chewed up.
The 125 will be a bigger and tougher version of the 55. It has a supreme aquamaster and an eheim 2217. I'm going to put in a school of tiger thugs, oops, meant tiger barbs :) a school of black tetras, some cory cats and a bristlenose pleco or 2. Give me some ideas.
THANKS

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
In all honesty I wouldn't put the betta in the 55 if you want some of the other fish in there. Sometimes they are ok, but other times either they get picked on or they kick the crap outta lot of other fish. A school of neons would be ok, but a 55 is a lot of room, so maybe go with a larger tetra, or simply more neons. 10-14 maybe. pleckos are a touchy issue, most of them get large. If you really want a plecko, I'd suggest going with a clown, they stay small, or simply choose another algea eating species, such as Ottos, they stay small, maybe get 6 of those guys. And I would strongly suggest going with 6-8 cories, they go great in groups and seem to do a lot more in larger groups. Peppered cories, bronze cories, and Pandas are awesome little cats, they stay smaller and look pretty cool. Now depending on how much money you want to spend I would also suggest seeing if you can pick up some Sterbai corys, prices, but very pretty fish. Well thats my two cents, from my experience anyway.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by NatakuTseng
A school of neons would be ok, but a 55 is a lot of room, so maybe go with a larger tetra, or simply more neons.
I know what you mean about the betta. Long ago I had a betta in a 20 long with a school of neons It worked well and I had the tank for years. One day the betta died, I replaced him with a betta ax murderer who ended up having his own bowl. I am hoping that in a tank that large with plenty of plants everyone could work out their issues.

I know I'll have a lot of room and I was thinking of a small neon school so I could have other schools of small tetras/rasboras and such.

What about hatchet fish?

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
hatchets are nice- I haven't had them in a really long time but I know you will want a good cover on your tank. they are jumpers.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I haven't had any hatchets since I was a kid and that was many years ago. I do know they are jumpers and they can be sort of tricky sometimes. I was concerned about the betta since both like the upper part of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store