Betta / Minibow Experiences

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I was originally going to post this to the FW products/DIY forum, but since this became less a review and more a collection of experiences/guide, I'm posting it here. The mods should feel free to move it if they deem necessary. Much thanks to the old hands here and on Myfishtank.net (where I'll post to if the mods over there would like this post); old posts and my own new troubles made up a lot of my experiences and both sites were a major help.

I recently purchased a 2.5 Minibow aquarium kit to house a single male betta. It seems like a lot of people want to do similar setups and so I'm posting a little rumination on my experiences so far. Standard disclaimer: I'm a newb of the highest caliber and my word certainly isn't the gospel. Take everything with a grain of salt. I'm still muddling my way through.

First some justification: I got a 2.5 because I am only interested in housing a single male betta (a bigger tank is a huge temptation for me to add more fish) and because the tank will be housed primarily in my dorm, but will have to return either yearly or even on a semester basis to my home about an hour away; thus a light tank that can be placed in a cooler is necessary. Keep in mind, despite the packaging claims, not much can be kept in such a small aquarium: maybe one male guppy or one male or female betta. Some discussion recently on myfishtank.net said both kilifish and dwarf gouramis might work in the tank, I don't think I'd recommended them, especially for inexperienced keepers. Other than that, shrimp, african dwarf frogs, or snails seem likely candiates for housing in the tank, but not with fish (for me shrimp wouldn't seem to like the high temp, ADFs are an extra hassle for me moving the tank, and snails will quickly sour the water if they die).

For this kind of set up the two main models seems to be the 2 gallon Marineland Explorer and the 2.5 Minibow. Also up for consideration is the 5 gallon Minibow (a much better value, but more on that later). Because of the design and integrated lighting, I opted to get the Minibow 2.5.

The 2.5 Minibow kit comes with a very nice looking acryllic tank, basically a tall square but with a wide, oval front (longer than it is wide). If nothing else the design is very cool looking. I like the shape better than a 5 gallon hex I briefly had and the 10 gallon I had as a kid. Additionally, the kit comes with a candy colored base for the aquarium and a matching hood with a light fixture. Additionally, the kit comes with an incandescent bulb for the hood and a Whisper internal filter. It comes with one carbon/floss insert for the filter and various free samples of water treatment, goldfish, and tropical fish food.

The major advantage that the Minibow has over the Explorer is the integrated lighting. However, this is something of a mixed blessing. Though the integrated setup looks nice (there are more and nicer colors for the minibow than the explorer, but the colors are all rather day-glo; cute in my dorm room, but not very professional looking like black or wood trim), the incandescent bulb warmed my water up to 5 degrees hoter than the 6' Hagen heater (I bought seperately) was set for. It is very important to keep a steady temp for the fish - it should not fluctuate more then one or two degrees at most. Thus, I dumped the incandescent bulb and purchased a florescent bulb at wal-mart for about five dollars. With that setup the temperature stays very steady in my room, even when I have my fan going at night. For seven to ten dollars, one could purchase a hang on lamp that could be used with the Explorer very nicely. The winner? The minibow, but not by much.

The Explorer's big advantage over the Minibow 2.5 is Marineland's great integrated wet/dry filtration. Combined with in-hood mechanical filtration, it's a great filter setup. Here the Explorer seems to stomp the Minbow, which comes with an enormous (for the size of the tank) whisper microfilter, which sits in the tank and which nearly sits at the bottom of the tank when gravel is added. The filter is the same model used in the 5 gallon Minibow; it seems like (based on what I've heard) that it works well in the 5 gallon, but even on its low setting it seems too much for the 2.5. While it's not awful, especially for bettas, either no filter or a smaller filter (I've heard the Azoo Palm is a good choice, avaliable on DrFostersmith.com for 6 bucks plus some ludicrous shipping charge) would be best. Advantage Explorer or Minibow 5 gallon. Quick note: the 5 gallon minibow (30 something at wal-mart, compared to the 26 for the 2.5, dollar for dollar is a much better value than the 2.5).

I setup the aquarium and tried to get everything working correctly for a week before I got the fish. This included buying a 6" Heater (the Hagen submersiable - as of right now 10 bucks on thatfishplace.com or 15 at Petsmart). Which, despite being 25 watts, seems to hold a steady temperature 78 degrees farenheit. I used aquarium gravel I had saved from a previous aquarium (old, but still usable) and used silk plants from wal-mart (as this tank would be moved around I did not feel like using real plants, though java moss or apon bulbs might work well). In addition I also bought betta food pellets and airline tubing to siphon water out of the tank. Most of the steps I carried out (cleaning the gravel, putting down plants, etc.) are done as they are with larger aquariums.

I had it set up for a week or so before getting my betta. One major point that bothered me was a big gap in the otherwise pretty nicely designed hood in the back for the filter. However, with the heater taking up the rest of the gap space, it seemed filled in. I would caution people keeping killifish, red claw crabs and african dwarf frogs that they might need to add nylon stocking or some kind of foam blockage onto the hood. The hood, as is customary, also has a feeding door.

After getting the betta and letting him settle down, one other problem that sprung up was the power of the filter. As I mentioned above, the filter is strong, probably too strong for a betta. I added a lot of silk plants and a clay pot to help negate that, but during feeding time, the filter would blow food around the top of the tank. As the betta became more accustomed (and hungrier) he would chase the food, if the filter sent it flying, but it's still something to watch for, as the food can quickly fall into gravel, lost. Right now I'm just feeding one pellet at a time to my fish, but a stick on feeding ring might also help. Otherwise, the filter has to be shut off during feeding (which amounts to unplugging it - which worries me, because the whisper filters are known for not starting back up).

I'm still coming to grips with the whole set up and hoping my little betta thrives (I tend to watch him most late at night, when he's winding down, so I'm hoping he's just tired and not ill).

I'm using airline tubing to do water changes. One end is put in the aquarium and one end in a bucket. By slightly sucking on the bucket end (which I've marked off) you can get a stream of water going into the bucket. I use a very old 2 gallon squat goldfish bowl to move new water into the tank. By taking a cup full of the aquarium water to the sink I finger test the water until the temps are similar and then treat it with a chlorine removed and gently put in the new water.

A small list of necessary supplies:
Aquarium Kit (or seperate pieces: for a betta a filter and a hood with the tank seem to suffice).

Small net

Betta food

Airline tubing for water changes or alternately a turkey baster.

Silk plants (plastic rips betta fins - plastic might be fine for other fish, but silk tends to look better IMO and at wal-mart comes out cheaper) or real java moss/apon.

Gravel

Florescent bulb/lamp (depending on what kind of setup).

Thermometer (not the "digital" stick on kind that you fit on the outside of an aquarium, no good on acryllic, since acryllic is a good insulator and those therms. can be affected by breezes, etc.).

Chlorine remover.

I'll add to/edit/reply to this as I learn more.

Last edited:

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
Nice post kiku....I see you often over at MFT, these forums sure do help don't they.

BTW, I love my 2.5 mini-bows. One is my wifes at home, one is on my desk at work. It's so relaxing being able to stare at my 'Mac' when I'm having a bad day.

:D

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
very nice post- I "upgraded" my two explorers to minibows last year and actually prefer the former tanks simply for the filtration. I just ordered palm filters for them- but that is the only thing I dislike about the minibows. I agree with you though, I wish they had some grown up colors :) not everyone who wants a small aquarium is five. andy did you mention on the other board that your wife had a palm filter on hers or did I make that up?

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Thanks! But it's not me, I'm not looking to have a wife now or in the near future, my betta's enough to look after ;) I believe it's Andy.

They really do help Andy, don't they. I kinda feel like we're starting off on the same kind of thing, since our experiences are so similar. So I'm especially grateful for your thanks; hopefully this will help newbs like myself.

Again, huge thanks to the members here and at MFT, they have been an enormous help.

Last edited:

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I read somewhere in the last couple of days that if you use airline tubing, taping a plastic drinking straw onto the aquarium end can help one "vacuum" the gravel bed of food and fish waste (tubing is hard to move to a specific place on its own, but a straight straw works like a vacuum attachment). Another good tool for this is a turkey baster.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I'm going to lowe's tomorrow to see if I can make a little gravel vaccuum for my little tanks- It can't be that hard. but then again I say that about all of my little projects.

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
Actually, we ended up with Azoo Palm filters on both of our mini-bows. They are much better that the internal whisper IMO. They do a better job of filtering, take up less room in the tank as all you have is the intake tube, create less current when on the lowest setting, and you could be pretty creative with media/filter placement in the filter itself. Plus, they are clear plastic so you can actually see when the filter pads get clogged up.

Our water is crystal clear at all times with these filters, I think they are great. It's a bit worrying when you first start them up as it seems to take forever for them to suck the water up the intake tube, but once they're going, they work great!

One word tho', we decided to put sponge over the intake tube as there is probably enough suction there to cause problems if a betta tail got too close!

All in all, a great little filter, well worth the $6.00 and makes the mini-bow a truly superb little tank!

P.S. Gravel vacs........I got a 'mini' gravel vac from Petsmart for like $3.00. It looks just like a vac for a big tank but in minature. It works v.well.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
see, I knew they HAD to make them for little tanks somewhere, I've just never seen one small enough for my little tanks. oooo, if I find one at petsmart I will see how long I can get the fiance to believe that I made it. that will be a much more amusing project.

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Great post kikuchiyo.

I almost purchased a minibow, but ended up with the Eclipse Explorer, before I finally traded it in for a Eclipse Hex 5 just recently.

To my surprise, if you go over to Big Al's web site, you'll find the newer Eclipse Explorer (link) does in fact come with a light now. I wish I had known about this before hand, as I could not find this tank (only the one with new light) in any of the local stores here, only online (where the shipping makes it outrageous).

ashdunk

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2006
Question regarding the Azoo Palm filters~~~

Can you still put on the mini-bow hood after you setup the Azoo Palm filters ??

andytwite said:
Actually, we ended up with Azoo Palm filters on both of our mini-bows. They are much better that the internal whisper IMO. They do a better job of filtering, take up less room in the tank as all you have is the intake tube, create less current when on the lowest setting, and you could be pretty creative with media/filter placement in the filter itself. Plus, they are clear plastic so you can actually see when the filter pads get clogged up.

Our water is crystal clear at all times with these filters, I think they are great. It's a bit worrying when you first start them up as it seems to take forever for them to suck the water up the intake tube, but once they're going, they work great!

One word tho', we decided to put sponge over the intake tube as there is probably enough suction there to cause problems if a betta tail got too close!

All in all, a great little filter, well worth the $6.00 and makes the mini-bow a truly superb little tank!

P.S. Gravel vacs........I got a 'mini' gravel vac from Petsmart for like $3.00. It looks just like a vac for a big tank but in minature. It works v.well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store