55g stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

napkinman

AC Members
May 16, 2004
houston TX
www.rubyinterweb.com
hey ya'll,
i've got some stocking questions for my brand new 55g aquarium. the following are the types of fish i like so far and i was wondering in what quantity i should get the following fish:
a) bala sharks
b) pictus cats
c) tiger barbs
d) african chichlid
e) dwarf gourami
f) Neon tetras
g) Betta

these are the fish i like the best. i know some of the fish will eventually get too big but i'm going to be upgrading to a much bigger tank so i figure it'll be fine. please let me know a combination that would work with these fish and let me know any pertinant info concerning their care, feeding habits and all that.

I already know about cycling the tank and will be doing that with both the 55g and the larger tank. thanks a ton. take care

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
Fish a, b, and c might go together, but bala sharks can get very large.
Fish e, f, g are peaceful and can go together, but I prefer to see tetras and anabantids by themselves.
Fish d with neither a, b, c, e, f, or g. That is, an African cichlid tank is usually a distinct endeavor.

Fish a, b, c generally don't mix with e, f, g.

I would continue to search the net for info on all these fish, especially the compatability issues, because the fish you mentioned are a mix of passive and aggressive species.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Never put tiger barbs with a betta. They will strip it of all its fins and pick it to death. The pictus will eat the neons 1 by 1.
When it comes to numbers tiger barbs do best in schools and for some reason, odd numbers seem to work better. I believe 3 is to small a number, so I would not have less than 5 tiger barbs.
A pictus can do 5 to 6" and they like to school when young but like smaller groups when older. As active as they are, I wouldn't put in more than 2. They can get a little scrappy with each other. I am considering putting 3 in my 125.

napkinman

AC Members
May 16, 2004
houston TX
www.rubyinterweb.com
thanks i was also wondering about cichlids because i know now that the african ones are mean sob's but are the south american ones as bad i read somewhere that they aren't that agressive. can anyone also recomend any other types of fish that they think are particularly cool or interesting?

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Some south/central/American cichlids can be pretty mean, but not all of them. Red Devils are Central American and fish do not come too much meaner.

sirasoni

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Palos Verdes, CA
Visit site
some of the larger SA/CA cichlids such as the dovii and festae (red terror) can take up 100s of gallons of territory for themselves. for a 55 you might try a breeding pair of convicts.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by sirasoni
some of the larger SA/CA cichlids such as the dovii and festae (red terror) can take up 100s of gallons of territory for themselves. for a 55 you might try a breeding pair of convicts.
Sevrums are nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store