fish that shoudn't be sold

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
looking around my local aquatic stores i've noticed lately that they are bring in lots of fish that a to big to look after in a home aquarium or pond.
So i was wondering what fish people think should not be sold?
i'll start with
pacu
and stergen & sterlet grow far to big and perfer brackish cold water.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
While I feel that we should be allowed to keep any fish we are willing to house properly, I understand that certain species are often sold without proper consideration for this . The first two that come to mind for me are:
Tiger shovel nose
irredescent shark.
Both of which I owned once when I had no clue. If I had a 1000g tank, I'd probably try an irredescent again, but never a TSN.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by daveedka
While I feel that we should be allowed to keep any fish we are willing to house properly, I understand that certain species are often sold without proper consideration for this .
I agree with the above statement wholeheartedly. If you want to purchase whatever it takes to properly house and care for a species, then you should be allowed to purchase it. If you are not, then you should not bring it home no matter what it is. Years ago I had a major fight with my adult daughter because she really and truly wanted to put an oscar in her 20 g. "After all, a fish only grows as big as its container."

First on my list are arowanas

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
change from shoudn't be sold, to can be sold with the right infromation given to the buyer and prove that they can house the fish right. or the LFS should not stock the fish in store just have a catalog of some kind so can order them.

also fish such as corys and tetras that need to be in schools should be sold as such. make it so we are unable to buy less the 5 or 6 in one go.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by Shekoi
also fish such as corys and tetras that need to be in schools should be sold as such. make it so we are unable to buy less the 5 or 6 in one go.
I don't like that part. I may already have a school and just loss one or two. Or, perhaps I am trying to breed and want to avoid inbreeding by purchasing fish from different stores to try to increase the odds of not buying a batch of siblings!

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by Shekoi
Boy, that would have made it tough for me to ADD two khuli loaches to the four I had in my tank like I did this weekend wouldn't it?

Right idea, wrong approach. I would support the idea of the sales staff politely inquiring as to the tankmates the chosen fish will be joining. For instance "Just one cory today? Do you already have cories? Becasue they do best in groups." Even then, you can only make the suggestion unless you don't mind losing money.

Tom

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I agree with that statement who is to say that maybe I am building up the group and don't want to crash my tank by overloading the bioload too quickly. Maybe I picked the cory for the first tank inhabitant knowing they are a hardy fish after the fishless cycle.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
went over top again

i meant for new setups when i said that, i should have worded it better.
just i seen people in stores buying a tank then, going to each show tank, i'll have one these, 1 of those, to fish such as corys and clown loaches, without the store guy mentioning cycling, out growing small tanks and having to be in shoals.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
you could have some kind of card that gets stamped when you buy a schholing fish so that you can prove you have lots od them lol this is stupid as peanut butter on a doorbell

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
mmmmm...peanut butter.

I know what you mean Shekoi. I was in the shop this weekend when I saw a guy with a shopping basket (with 2-3 bags of fish in it along with some other stuff) asking the salesperson if "One of those fish will work with this fish" The guy didn't realize the fish he had already picked out and had in his basket was a betta. He had to have the sales guy write "betta" on the bag so he'd remember it.

What the heck, fish are like furniture or paintings right?

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store