critters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zhaan

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
I think I have daphnia or copepod in my tank. What are these and should I be concerned? Freaked me out when I saw these things. How did they get in there and what's their purpose?

zhaan

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Bizarre!! I've never seen anything like it, except maybe in swamp water. Freaked me out! Thought maybe my tank had bad water quality or had been contaminated somehow (its an office tank). Had bettas breed in it last week and now have alot of tiny betta babies. Anyone know how long I should keep their daddy in with them? Or how long before I can get the tank back up to its original status? I figure about two weeks, but would like some info from someone who's actually done this before. Thanks.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I haven't spawned betta before but I remember hearing that after the eggs hatch you should move them away from Pops, as he'll start to eat the fry.

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
go to bettatalk.com. that is the best website for anything about bettas. you are supposed to keep the dad in there until the fry are swimming horizontally. he has to keep blowing them back up to the surface so they can get air. on my last attempt-daddy betta ate all of his babies before they could swim. there were only a few left after i took him out and they died because they could not swim to the surface for air.:sad he wont be back in the spawning tank again. poor shredded momma betta was heartbroken:sad that was the only time that has ever happened to me though. some are not fit to be papas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store