Cloudy Water - please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jefft

AC Members
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Posting this for a friend - I've been unable to help him with cloudy water conditions. Any help would be much appreciated

Tank - 50 gallon acryllic
Filter - Fluval 304, all media is regularly cleaned/replaced
Water changes - every 2 weeks, 25%
Water Temp - 78-80
Fish - 13 (2 Clowns, 2 Plecos, 2 Congos, 6 Red-Eyed Congos)
Water conditions - nitrites, ammonia, and PH all at proper levels. Fish are active and appear healthy, fins eyes, and activity level are normal

Water started clouding up about a week ago. At the last water change, the water pulled out had a greenish tint to it. New water was tested prior to adding it to tank and it was definitely clear, but after adding it to tank, cloudiness has remained.

Not sure what the green tint is - algae? The tank is away from windows and I believe it's just one bulb at 20 some watts - algae has not been a problem.

Sound familiar? Any ideas? I'm stuck :confused:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Sounds like your standard green water.

First thing, relax, take a deep breath, there's likely nothing harmful about it. Green water is just a bloom of algae that cannot form globs or clumps. I say this instead of the standard 'single celled' algae description because all alga to my knowledge are single celled, just some can join hands, so to speak.

Now, most likely this is due to over feeding. Reduce feeding. You can even let the fish fast for a couple days, it won't hurt them, esp. if you've been over feeding them.

Keep up with the water changes. 30-50% is fine. You can do them daily if your tap and tank pH are close and you pay attention to matching temperature.

I would like more specifics as to what you mean by:
nitrites, ammonia, and PH all at proper levels. Fish are active and appear healthy, fins eyes, and activity level are normal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store