The ultimate water testing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iceveins

AC Members
May 13, 2004
Visit site
I wouldnt say I'm a seasoned veteran fish owner, but through trial and error I seem to be getting better...At least I thought.

Now, maybe someone can point out what I may be overlooking...

Hadn't had a fish fatality in a year...I only had 2 angels in the tank for the past year. Then I added some new fish to the tank last week. Now its, 2 angels, 2 tetras, one little shark and one Pleco.

Yesterday, the Pleco died. Now for some reason I think that there may be some more to follow. Now heres the specs on my tank and my procedures:

30 gallon tank
304 Fluval Filter, changed filter media about 2 weeks ago.
PH balance is good
Ammonia is zero.
Nitrites are zero.
Temperature is 78 degrees.
Have an air stone in the tank.
Feed the fish twice daily.
Frequent water changes.

That is all I have tested the water for lately. Now what else may I need to keep in account when testing water? Should I get a nitrate and phosphate testing kit? I'm trying to get this thing down pat, but I am turning in to skeptic after doing everything I know to keep the water quality high. It appears that whenever I add new fish they die. My fish dont appear to flourish either, seems like there is something I'm missing in the water. If anyone can advise I would appreciate it.

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
Are you acclimating them? Oh, nevermind it was a couple of weeks before the pleco died. Nitrate measurements would be helpful, but I wouldn't expect them to be through the roof if your ammonia is at zero.

Did you change the filter media entirely? Could you have unknowingly caused a spike in the cycle?

My gut reaction says it was the fish introduction, but if it was a bioload issue then you should see it in the water readings. Could any of the new fish brought in a parasite that you are unaware of? Angel fish are cichlids so perhaps it was aggression towards the pleco that stressed it?

Sorry I can't be any actual help, but hopefully I jogged something in your own thought process?

iceveins

AC Members
May 13, 2004
Visit site
sure Traci, thanks for the info. What I do belive I have overlooked is checking the tank for any bacteria or parasites. Is there any way to do a test for these? I once did put some medicine in the tank last year, I believe it was for ich.

Is there a product which will eliminate bacteria or parasites?

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
you don't want to eliminate bacteria thats what keeps the tank from being toxic due to fish wastes.

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
2 different bacterias. THere's the good bacteria that you cultivate, and the bacteria that causes opportunistic infections if your fish injure themselves orhave aparasitic infections. There are antibiotics and antiparasitic agents. I've not used any myself, but I hear that melafix is a good overall preventative medication. I understand tha fish food soaked in garlic is a good treatment for internal parasites.

Now, most people don't want to medicate unless there is an identifiable disease. As with any medications, some are geared for particular treatments. Perhaps a better application would be to remove any obviously ailing fish into another container and treat them individually.

I am unaware of any readily available test that would register parasites or bacterial infection in your tank or fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store