moving dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
So, I may be moving out to a college dorm this fall. I can't take my tanks (115 & 37 g, unplanted) with me. And asking (and relying on) someone to care for them is out of the question. So I will give the fish away, but I will not give/sell the tanks. Here is my question:

Should I drain the tanks and let them sit there until I return? (the following summer, I suppose)

Or could I unplug everything except maybe the filters?
Would the water get "nasty" after some time?

Even though it is a waste of electricity, I figure a filled tank wouldn't be as un-attractive as an empty tank. Any thoughts or other ideas and opinions would be appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd drain them and put them in storage. Even without fish in there, there will still be other organics, and their death will cause a nasty stench, not to mention the potential for one to leak/break unnoticed (guessing they are in your room). The evaporation would also likely result in scale on the sides--ugly, and a pain to remove without emptying the tank.

I certainly wouldn't want to try cycling or adding fish to tank that had been sitting, unmaintained, full of old water, for long.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I would attempt to clean everything thoroughly and put it away. Cleaning any buildup or scum now will be easier than waiting till you're ready to rebuild and trying to clean it up after it's dried and became rock-like. Kyle

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
If I could, I would leave them up and running, after I gave away the fish. I would be concerned about the seals drying out and cracking. I've seen a lot of leakers that were just packed away. Plus, you would be ready to start a fishless cycle in preparation for your return home.
I would not just leave them unattended. Someone would have to at least top of the water and make sure something didn't happen.

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
Those are all valid arguements that I haven't thought of. Thank you. This decision will be harder than I thought...

Let's say I did a 100% water change before I leave to get most of the organics (as OG stated) out. And assuming I could get someone to top off every so often (as LT stated), and doing another 100% when I return.

Would I be ok to leave them running?

Would I still have stench and buildup problems?

I don't have any storage space, and I'm definately not going to pay for storage. I would rather leave them where they are, since they will go right back to the same place when I return. And again, I think an empty tank will be more of an eye-sore than a running tank.

Maybe a better question would be:

How can I keep a tank running without fish, for an extended period of time? How can I reduce any repulsive odor, and any type of buildup that will develop?

Thank you, again.

BTW, somebody will be living in the house, but I can't ask them to do weekly water changes on the 115. So, when I said I will be leaving, I didn't mean to imply that the tanks will be completely unattended. Sorry if I mislead you.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you clean the tank well, and have someone who can monitor it, you can leave it up--I'd put in lots of carbon, just to be on the safe side.

You'll still want to drain the tanks and refill them to cycle them for more fish when you come back though. Otherwise, topping off for evaporation will result in a concentration of the water--ie, anything that is in the water will sky rocket, probably resulting in some really hard water.

Ray of Sunshine

Registered Member
May 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
Something else to think about. If your water levels drop below the filters this could a burn out of the filter motors. Maybe a cause a possible electrical hazzard. If you have a powerhead, it will shoot water across the tank & onto the floor. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store