Fish being lazy/boring?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
My fish in the "floor tank" don't do a whole lot other than sit in the corners when I'm watching them (they seem to be a lot more active when I walk into the room after leaving for a few minutes). Currently the water is unfiltered so the only water current is from a single bubble stone (I will be buying a filter as soon as I get my next paycheck!), so there's little in forms of that stimulus. How do I get these fish to move around more?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
erm.... more than likely, these fish are extremely stressed out. You have a 3" Koi and 3 common goldfish. Koi do not do well with goldfish. They also reach 2-3 feet in length. The goldfish will be fine in the 45 gallon though, so they arent a problem but you NEED a filter with goldfish!
:p

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
i've mentioned about your tanks in a different thread.

'Fish that shouldn't be sold'

your fish aren't swimming around, because of stress and lack of room, the water is probably very unclean which could be harming the fish, the not can't be cycles if no filter so masses of ammonia, did you treat the water first, chlorine could be a problem.

Koi's and goldfish can do fine together as long as its a large pond which is well filtered.
the 45g will be ok for the commons for about a month then they will need more room, i'd give around 30+ gallons at least to single common and thats with good filters.
should take all the common goldies and koi you have back to store or build a large pond. then put a couple fancy goldies in the 45gallon with some filters.

Last edited:

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
i used to have a pond with koi and goldfish or similar sizes and they koi beat the poopoo out of the goldfish. i now have one koi with several similar sized goldfish in another pond and they are absolutely fine. maybe the first group of koi formed a koi gang and beat up the goldfish in initiation ceremonies. maybe now my goldfish are the ones with the gang :)

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Two points:

1: I know full well how big koi get. That's why I bought it!

2: The water is still clean, the fish have only been in there for three days.

So, how's come the fish become active the minute I stop watching them?

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
The fish can see you through the glass and are aware that you are a living thing. When you're not there they can conduct business as usual but when you show up they're a bit uneasy. Its pretty normal in a new tank and should go away as they become used to you. Interestingly, some people notice their fish recognize them. For instance, they act normal for them but when a stranger comes into the room everybody hides.

Have you been feeding the fish in this tank without filtration? If so they have been producing a good amount of waste as they are quite good at that. Unless you're doing pretty good sized daily water changes, that water probably isn't so clean. Also, is the tank cycled?

I agree with Shekoi's comments in the other thread. Every one of your tanks is either overstocked, stocked with fish too big for the tank, or stocked with fish/amphibians that will not get along (That clawed frog is going to eat everything it can fit into its mouth. Pretty scary when he's 6").

Tom

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
When you say the water is "clean", do you mean you can see through the water and its not green and brown...

...or are you talking about your Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels?

And could you please give us your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings? ;)

Filters serve a much larger purpose (in the grand scheme of things) than just making the water clear.

Also, are you planing to give this koi the ideal pond he needs, or are you planning a several hundred gallon aquarium for him? I ask this because you kindly informed us that you purposely bought him, so I am wondering where his home will be?

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I don't have a test kit. The water is clear and odorless. I am getting a filter Friday (if it starts to look bad I'll transfer a filter from another tank temporarially.) I simply have no money right now. I want to set up a very large floor tank for the Koi, if this isn't possible I'll be selling him to the LFS when he reaches about 8 inches.

I had a homemade bio-filter (basically a UGF in a bucket) but the stupid thing keeps falling apart... I'm going to start using it anyways now. (the lift tube won't stay attached to the floor plate)

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Your LFS should be able to test your water for free if money is the obstacle.

Water can be crystal clear but still deadly to fish from toxins like ammonia and nitrites.

Tom

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
I'll be selling him to the LFS when he reaches about 8 inches.
you'll be lucky if he gets to that.

if money was the problem, should have got the filter first then cycled it, its goining to cost more now cause have to buy new filter and fish, cause yours will die if kept like you are keeping them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store