Hydras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
I'm almost sure that these creatures are hydras. Please take a look on the picture.

I feed the plecos 2 times a day with spirulina tablets. I'm sure that it's hydras main food source. If I stop/reduce the food, ancistrus plecos are gonna eat my plants. Believe me, I know that. With the regular diet I healed all plants, but, huh... I got hydras. :mad:

hidra2.jpg

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I think it's cool that they have no brains... Turin, it doesn't look (from skimming that article) that they're harmful...

~Tara

Tom.E

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
New York, USA
If they’re hydra, where’s the tentacles? :)

From the pic they look like they might be Stentors (a large trumpet shaped protist); though I‘ve never seen them that densely clustered.

Tom

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the answers.
Hydras are not harmful (except for the fry) but they are - ugly. Unmagnified, they look like a dirt patches - that's not very pleasant sight on the leaves or stems.

I think the tentacles are those "Y" shaped stuff seen on the picture. Why I'm more confident that those are hydras is because they immediately retract when the fish/object goes by.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I don't know- they sort of look like them in the picture but mine don't look exactly like that, they don't clump and they don't retract when the fish go by.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Here's a quote from the text that Becky provided:

"Though often abundant in ponds, hydras frequently escape notice because of their habit of retracting into a tiny blob when disturbed. "

That's exactly what happened! Maybe you, ash, don't have the hydra? ;)

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
I have had Hydra a few times from over feeding fry. All you need are Aquarium Pharm. "Fluke Tabs", 1/2 tablet to each 10 gallon of water. I crush them and mix in small containers of tank water and just dump it in. Will not harm anything else in the tank and the Hydra will vanish in less than a few hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store