How often do you feed your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
The title says it all...

how often do you feed your fish?

I feed my fish every other day (flakes and algae wafers) and they get cucumber (or zucchini) 2-3 times a week.

Does anyone know how often fish need to eat? For some reason I think twice a day is an awful lot... but seeing how many people DO feed twice a day or even once a day, I wonder sometimes if my fish are ever hungry (I've always fed every other day, and fish seem happy :D)

~Tara

m3th0d

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
G Deuce, CA
Visit site
sometimes i alternate my feeding routine..

sometimes i feed them fish flakes up to three times a day (small amounts).. every once in a while i'll give them an algae wafer, like a day before a water change because it tends to foul up my water. every weekend i'll give 'em frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp.. and i skip a few days sometimes as well.

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
In my 10-gallon, I feed them flakes once a day at night time. In my 50-gallon, I feed them flakes once a day, also at night, and I give my Pleco 1-2 algae wafers. Every three days, I give them 2 cubes of frozen bloodworms.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I feed very often (3+ times a day) but only miniscule amounts at any one time.

I will go tank to tank with my little "Nyquil cup" of whatever's on the menu and drop it literally one bite at a time. If anything hits the bottom then they've been offered enough. I feed only frozen and live.

I can feed one tank for half an hour if I'm in the mood to play with water currents. I like to drop one mysis at a time to try and predict where it will go.

I don't get out much :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
If your mindset is that its "bad" to feed fish multiple times a day, that is because most aquarists (newbies especially) overfeed their fish. This is why beginners are told to feed a maximum of once per day. We figure that if they are going to overfeed their fish, at least it wont be 3-4 times per day.

I, personally, feed my fish once a day. I never got into that "groove" of feeding 3-4 small amounts per day as it just doesn't fit my lifestyle. I can only feed once, around 6-7 pm.

However, it is more natural to feed smaller amounts throughout the day. This is how fish eat in the wild. ;)

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
Every other day or so for my community setups, very lazy with the schedule. Breeding setups I'll do once a day, and if they have fry it's every 4-6 hours.

I notice since I've cut back the feeding to less than once a day, they are always snacking on algae and rotifers on the driftwood and intake sponges. Seems to be a simple solution to add a little more variety to their diet.

Cheers,
Raithan O. Ellis

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I used to feed my fish every other day, but with my hectic schedule, I'd forget what day I feed them on, so I started feeding them small amounts twice a day. It appears to work just fine. Either Saturday or Sunday is their "fasting"day, where I don't feed them at all.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
2x daily - freeze dried bloodworms in the morning, flakes and shrimp pellets in the pm

always in small amounts, if ever they aren't racing for the food, I know they've been getting too much. I also try to get a fast in here and there, but I tend to keep it pretty random.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store