What would go well with what's currently in tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
I finally found a place that will take my ID shark off my hands. They have a customer who is looking for a larger ID shark. Well... I wil get an in-store credit and would like to replace him with something. But I would like to replace him with something that is actually benificial to my tank... any recommendations? View my tank specs below...

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
It's funny that you should mention the betta and gourami thing. I have been told that they don't get along at all (this was before I rescued my daughters Betta from her mother)but I haven't had one problem yet. Sometimes they even school together. I know, I know... impossible right? It's the truth. They even feed together. Now about the sex of the batta... I'm not sure... how does one go about sexing a betta?

Thaks for the reply.. I'm off to get some more cories!!:D

becky_e

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
Minnesota, USA
www.geocities.com
Generally, the fancy, colorful bettas with big fins are males, usually these are the ones in a cup of water at the store.

The females are brownish, a bit more plain, but I think, still pretty fish. Females have shorter fins and aren't quite as aggressive as males.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
the male has long flowing fins and tail and mostly alot more colourfull and bright.

if yours is a male (which i think it isn't) it is weird to hear that it swims and feeds with gourami.

does the betta eat flakes? because it can be hard to get the males to eat flakes, mine onlt ate freeze dried blood worm and live brine shrimp.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
My betta eats flakes, frozen bloodworms, shrimp pellets, and algae wafers. But, it stays away from tubifex worms. I guess its not a that picky an eater.

In a 55g the betta and the gouramis have a lot of space, so fighting over surface area may not be a problem. Gouramis also like to pester each other, so maybe they're too busy chasing each other around and have no time for the betta.

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
Thanks for all the info on Bettas! Yes it is a male and he gets along quite well with the gouramis. As you can see from the pics of my tank, the betta has plenty of cover to get away from the gouramis. He eats flakes mostly but really goes for the little treat of shrimp pellets. Well, I just got back from the fish store and before I go any further let me first say that you will probably give me a hard time for my choices. I got 4 little zebra danios and 4 little bloodfin tetras... I'm sure that you will comment on my bio-load but I am in the process of setting up another 20 gallon. Soooo, If the bio load is too much then some will go in the 20. Thanks again for all your help!

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
Shrimp are cool- I love watching mine. You might consider moving your betta to another tank- there are a lot of inexpensive options. The reason I say that is not just the gouramis but as your tigerbarbs grow they might be a bit boisterous for him. that said, I agree- just round out the schools you have a little more. and check out some shrimp- is your tank planted?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store