ARGH!!! More ich!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I just got back from the store I got my koi from (Wal-Mart) and when I looked at their fish I saw that some of the other fish in the tank that my Koi came from had ich! I don't know if my koi was infected or not, so I would like to treat him ASAP. My options are as follows:

1: Install the filter as planned, add salt (increasing heat isn't possible) and cross all my fingers.

2: Transfer the Koi and the three goldfish into the 20 gallon tank, put my new filter in there and aeriate the living s**t out of it (I have welding oxygen and can aeriate with that if nessasary)

Which sounds better to you guys? Bear in mind I KNOW the 20 gallon tank still has ich.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i'd just like to say that i've never seen a healthy fish in the wal*mart here.

dont quote me on this, but i THINK that if your koi have ich that you cant notice yet, and you put them in the tank with ich that you know is there, then most likely, it will show up faster on the koi, so you can treat it sooner. whether or not thats the best idea, i dont know. but if you treated the ich in that tank, then you could kill two birds with one stone. and get rid of all the ich you have.

like i said, dont quote me, but it just seems like it would work out that way.

plus it would cost a lot less to treat the 20 gallon than it would to treat the bigger floor tank.

the question is, would the fish be comfortable in the 20 gallon? i have 2 goldfish in a 20 gallon right now and i'm VERY anxious to get them out because i know they need/want more room. if you have KOI, then they need many times the amount of room that my goldfish need, and you have a lot more. maybe they're still small and they'll be okay temporarily though?

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
All of the goldfish I own are under two inches long, and the Koi is just under 3. I can't see any ich, however it's difficult to inspect the fish, and it is more likely than not clean (ich seems to spread in under 12 hours time. The fish was clear yesterday when I got it.). Think I should just increase the salinity and hope?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
erm... simply increasing the salinity will not do it. And usually its the weak, sick fish which are highly stressed that seem to get the ich. I'm sure you know this by now, but dont get any more fish from walmart. They are death fish...even if they have good prices!

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Now I agree with that assesment whole-heartedly. The only reasons I had bought there were that they warrant their fish for 90 days and my LFS is a 12-mile drive. The fish I had bought was the healthiest in the tank, so I think I'll give it a few days to show symptoms before I start taking drastic measures.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
If you know the tank it came from is infected you need to treat it as soon as possible, not wait until it shows symptoms.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Can you show research that backs what you say up? I have never heard of treating a tank before you know about an infestation. Ich is one of the most common (sadly enough) and one of the easiest diseases to treat. We ought to call it a 48 hr. bug or something. :p

Anyway, I would not treat the tank for this problem unless you SEE that they have ich. If they aren't too stressed and have very good water then they shouldn't become infected. As I said, Ich picks it's victims well and knows the weak fish from the strong fish. ;)

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
No I say it just because he knows the tank his fish came from has it, and his fish are cramped and stressed as well- my guess would be if it isn't showing now, it will be shortly- I'm probably wrong but he may as well have medicine on hand.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Sorry, after reading that again it seems like I was talking in a harsh way. Just to be clear, I was saying that in a "light tone" and what just curious as to where you heard that from. ;)

Have medication on hand? Yes. But treat a tank with seemingly healthy (ich free) fish? No... I wouldn't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store