White Algea Bloom??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
What exacly does a white algea bloom look like? I was looking in my tank this morning and notice very fine white particle floating in my water. It's not bad... but I noticed. Could this be a white alggea bloom? I did a 50% water change last night becasue the last time I did one, my NitrAtes were at 30-35ppm. I did the 50% last night and changed the filter media. After that my readings are as follows:

PH = 8.4
KH = 300ppm
GH = 60ppm
NitrIte = 0
NitrAte = 15-20ppm

This morning I notice all the minute white stuff suspended in my water. I tested the water again this morning and came up with the exact readings as last night. What could cause this? (if this is indeed a white algea bloom)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
A white algae bloom would actually be a bacterial bloom. And if you can just see small particles floating around then it is no bloom at all. Sounds likely that you just have particles floating around. They could be fromt he substrate, plants, decorations, filter material.....

Water changes will get rid of it but often it will just come back.
There is also a good chance that they are just really small bubbles. Fish tanks often get an oily skim on the surface of the water, not always visible. The filter can make bubbles from this.

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
Thanks TKOS! I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. It's not a cloud and the water looks clear, I can just see it when I look up by the lights. You're most likely correct. I will keep an eye on it and keep doing my weekly maintenance!

Thanks again:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store