3 large comets

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
A neighbor of mine has an outdoor pond. Every winter he brings the comets in and puts them in a 15 gal. Well... this year he said they were too big to keep indoors and he was just gonna throw them into the lake because he will not be setting up his pond anymore (too much of a pain he said). Needless to say, I freaked about him throwing them in the lake so I offered to take them off his hands. He gave me the 15 gallon set up, which is a complete dirty mess. These fish are about 6-7 inches a piece and extremely beautiful!!. I just set up my 20 gallon until I can find a larger home for them. I have had my eye on a 60 gallon hex at my LFS and it appears I will be spending more money just to save a few fish. How can people be so careless and clueless??

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
when i first mentioned the fact that i was going to need a pond to give my big comet to, some people said "why dont you just take him to the river?" or "why dont you just flush him?"

needless to say i got pretty angry about both of those responses. people are just ignorant, they dont know any better.

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
I hear ya... I t pisses me off to no end. I'm a sportsman and really enjoy fishing. It doesn't take much to kill off a fragile ecosystem just by introducing one fish that is not native to the waters.

becky_e

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
Minnesota, USA
www.geocities.com
Yes, it seems like the average person just doesn't realize the ecological damage that can be done when someone just throws an animal that gets too big out into nature.

For example:
Next to some heating vents in the Great Lakes there are established micropopulations of piranha. Turns out they can survive the winter just fine when the water is heated. I don't want piranha in my Great Lakes! The pop. was established by abandoned pets. :eek:

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
wow.. i had no idea about the pirhana!

around here we have BAD problems with anacharis plants overtaking the ponds.. and also those freshwater clams when they get dumped, take over.

i'm not really positive about invasive fish species around here, but i know there are some. fortunately a lot of the ponds and lakes around here are man made, so they're a little more controlled than natural ones connected by rivers and streams. that keeps invasive species to smaller areas, in some cases anyways.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
these people are ruining it for other people. im in southern california where they say a lot of the fish can survive in the wild. so its illegal for me to get snakeheads which i really want, some of the drawf species are actually nice looking and colorful. another one i want is the belesox. it just makes me mad because there are responsible owners that suffer from it too.

btw you can get the swimmingpool at walmart i think its 8 feet in diameter by 3 feet high for around 40 dollars and build your own skippy filter and the fish can be happ for life, or atleast until winter. if you have the space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store