Fish Fatalities

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shieldsup

AC Members
May 19, 2004
Visit site
have a 2ft tank with about 12 neons, 1 x rainbow shark, 1 x simese fighter fish and 4 x painted angels.. All was happy in tank land until I put in a couple of dwarf gouramis.. Now the painted angels have died as well as my fighter fish..

Any ideas?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
is a two foot tank a ten gallon or a 20 gallon?

with that bioload i'm guessing that the guaramies didnt have to make much of a difference to make the ammonia levels fatal.

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
I think a 2 foot would be a 20. My 20 long is 30 inches long.

pH isn't really going to make a difference in a case like this unless you know for sure that a water change drastically altered it.

You ARE overstocked though, so the new fish could have triggered a glitch in the levels. Of course gouramis can be territorial and aggressive and probably stressed the angels. Also, some gourami species are prone to parasitic disease, but I would think that that would have taken more time to establish in a tank and effect the other fish.

Painted angels you say, as in dipped or injected dyed? If that's the case then these fish were probably already horribly stressed from the process and not destined for a long life any way. The added stress may have been the nail in their coffins.

Incidentally, you do know that that shark is going to way too big for that tank size, right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store