Algae Issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I posted about this a while ago in the Aquatic Plants section but didn't get any feedback despite a bunch of views. I'm trying my luck here.

I have an algae problem in my 10g puffer tank. What's interesting is that it has virtually the same water parameters as my 29g which has not algae problem.

pH-7.8
nitrates-5
nitrites-0
ammonia-0
phosphate- <.25
GH- 4mg/l
KH- 4mg/l

There are 3 dwarf puffers and 3 otos in the tank. I feed the puffers snails and bloodworms but I rarely see them eat the bloodworms.

The algae is dark green like a velvet and covers the plants and the sand substrate. Its really annoying but it does come off easy.

Lighting is from two 20w flourescent screw in compacts left on for about 11 hours a day. I use flourish excel about every other day and stump remover for nitrates and potassium about twice a week. Weekly water changes are around 40%.

This tank is pretty heavily planted and the plants seem to be doing okay. I don't feed bloodworms a lot because I don' see them eat them so I don't think there's an overfeeding problem. nitrates were non existant before adding ferts and the algae was there before ferts.

So, what type of algae is this and what the heck can I do to get rid of it? At this point my only thought is to reduce the light time by and hour or two but there's so much algae I just don't see that doing the trick.

Tom

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
color and thickness

Is it blue-green or black-green?

Is it thin and slimy and stinky?

How is circulation in that tank?

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Re: color and thickness

Originally posted by anonapersona
Is it blue-green or black-green?

Is it thin and slimy and stinky?

How is circulation in that tank?
Its definitely blue green. I haven't smelled it.

As far as texture goes I wouldn't call it slimy looking (although pretty much any algae would be slimy when you touch it.) In the tank it looks like felt. As if you had put a blue green pool table felt in the dryer and this algae was what came out of the lint trap.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store