Feeding while away for long weekend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anne L.

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi, Folks! Haven't been here for a little while due to being busy at work, but I finally get a long weekend off and am wondering what to do about my fish.

We are leaving Friday night and not coming back until Monday night.

Should I get one of those weekend feeder blocks for the tank or just feed the fish well on Friday and let them wait until Monday for their next feeding?

It just seems like a long time for the fish not to be fed when they are used to it every day.

I've also heard that those weekend blocks are not the best thing for your tank, although I would remove it as soon as we got home.

Thoughts?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i've used the weekend feeders, and they seem to do just fine with my goldfish AND the tropical fish that i had as well.

i wouldnt reccomend using the weekend feeders all the time.. but for a once in a blue moon occasion, you should be just fine 8)

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
I've heard bad things about those blocks, just don't worry about it, the fish will be fine for a week. Be sure the filter is clean and the water is changed before you go.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I think that they're blocks of calcium carbonate (like chalk, Tums, coral...) with bits of food dispersed throughout.

That's not really an opinion on whether or not they work, just what I think they are. I think that I would be tempted just to do some cleaning and water changes, feed 'em and leave them.

Anne L.

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Ok, you guys are the experts, so it sounds like the fish will be ok without being fed.

If those blocks are calcium carbonate, wouldn't it change the chemistry of the water somewhat? I wouldn't want to mess up the good thing I have going now. Tank is very nice and fishies are all doing really well.

I think I'll feed them lightly both Friday morning and the Friday night before we leave, and not worry about it. I'll also throw in 2-3 shrimp pellets for the cories.

If my fish are dead when we get back, you'll all be in big trouble!;)

Thanks!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
If I'm right and they are lumps of CaCO3, then yes, they would affect your KH and pH. I imagine that the reason these don't cause much trouble for some (most?) people is that a couple of water changes and you'll be back to the KH and pH that your tank 'wants'. Same reason adding water mods. for KH and pH is never very effective. Except in this case, it's working in your favour...

Well, that's if I'm right.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Those blocks definitely can affect your water chemistry. It's not worth messing with them. Your fish will be better than OK after a weekend without food. Many of us regularly add a day or two of fasting for our fish even when we're around.

Have a good weekend!

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store