nitrates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Okay i havent done fresh in a while. I know that in salt you add some type of macro to reduce phosphates and nitrates. but what if any plants can be added to fw to reduce the nitrates?

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Live plants will take care of keeping nitrates low. In fact, in a heavily planted tank you end up having to add nitrates back in since the plants use so much.

Even in a lightly planted tank nitrates should be held under control. Not that its an excuse to ignore water changes though :D

Tom

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Water changes are definately the BEST way to control nitrates. I have never had plants in my aquariums take care of the nitrates for me, and I've kept some pretty dense planted tanks in my time... however my nitrates were generally lower than in my unplanted tanks. ;)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I agree that water changes are the best and cheapest and easiest nitrate control.

That said, I do have several planted tanks to which I have to add nitrate. And yes, those still get their water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store