insecticides and your fishtank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
so i found a brown recluse in my kitchen today. (thats a poisonous spider for those of you that dont know)

and as a result, my apartment is getting "sprayed" tomorrow.. and then getting "bug bombed" tomorrow evening.

my question is, how should i protect my fishtank water? it has a lid, but the support bar is broken, so it bows out a little bit in the front. and there are also holes in the lid for the filter and other stuff. so how should i cover the tank to keep the insecticides out of it? i'm assuming insecticides wont be good for my fish.

bharada

AC Members
Apr 13, 2004
Visit site
Is there an extermination company doing the work or just the building super? If there's a company you should be able to call them and ask for recommendations on safeguarding your fish...but realistically, it may come down to breaking down your tank and relocating your livestock until the bug-bombing is done.

How soon after they apply the bug bomb are they allowing you back into your apartment?

becky_e

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
Minnesota, USA
www.geocities.com
This may not be the official way, but when my parents had to bug bomb, we turned off the air pump and covered the fish tank with towels. We started it up again after the house was open and aired out. We didn't lose any fish that way.

Basically, we waited to get the tanks back to normal when we felt we would be safe inside.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
well there arent any fish in it right now.. and i've just spent 12 days cycling it.

after the bomb i think i have to be gone for 24 hours.. not positive though.

i called my mom and she suggested just laying trash bags over the top of it?

oh okay.. if towels are safe then i think i should be fine.. i was just kindof scared that it would somehow get through the fabric.

i'm so freaked out right now.. i hate spiders

Last edited:

Bugman

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
NoCal
Visit site
Turn off your filters and air pumps and cover tank with a towel or two(like mentioned above). Just make sure you do a good job as there to be no opening to allow air to the water and it should be alright. A good bugman would spray carefully around the tank to keep mist from getting in tank.

No reason to bug bomb if bugman does a good job. His spray should have a better residual.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
If there are no fish you can just seal the tank off air-tight. This may disturb your cycle but it's better than having poison gas dissolved in your water!

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
I agree with everyone else that posted, but wanted to add this suggestion. After you are back in the apartment and uncovering you tank - add some activated carbon to your filtration system for a couple of days. This should pull out anything that may have slipped through the towels.

Good Luck from Black Widow country:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store