Cardinal Tetras, Lilies, and Mosquitos, Oh My!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sancho Panza

AC Members
Feb 1, 2004
KCMO USA
Visit site
So, I have a question...I have an outdoor water garden (in a whiskey barrel) with a pair of lilies and some clippings from my indoor plants. The water is clean and filtered, and the plants are doing well, but I fear it will be a breeding ground for mosquitos, so I want to add fish.

But not just any fish! I want to add six of my cardinal tetras, in hops that they will eat any bug larvs, and a secret hope that they will breed. This would be just for the summer of course (in Missouri, with daytime highs of 100` and nightime lows in the 60`s.)

Does anyone have any info on my chances for success. Killing mosquitos are primary, but I sure would love to have some cardinal fry!

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
I thought cardinals were picky about water conditions?
40 degrees temperature fluctuations is a lot, in my opinion heh

get mosquitofish, they eat mosquitoes (hence the name)

just kidding, i'm not sure what is best for you.

Sancho Panza

AC Members
Feb 1, 2004
KCMO USA
Visit site
Well...

Yes, forty degrees air difference is pretty wide, but I bet the water regulates itself to stay in the high or low eighties It's not that warm yet so I don't know how it will go.

The garden only gets about 4 hrs of direct sun a day, the rest of the time it is indirect or muted light filtering through a canopy and/or other plants. (like my ficus)

As for other fish, I really only like the tropicals. In fact, I REALLY only like tetras and loaches, but I try to keep my mind open to other types. I can't stand guppies, mollys (except for lyre-tails) and goldfish which seem to be the most common "outdoor" fish.

(Nothing personal to any lovers of that type of fish.)

My other alternative is mountain minnows, which I'm sure would be fine outdoors, but I really want to breed my tetras, not end the summer with 150 minnows! I like white clouds, but not that much...

(However, the idea of 150 cardinals makes me feel all warm inside:D )

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I use guppies, virtually the same as mosquitofish.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i think you should go for it. i know cardinal tetras can be kindof picky. but just start off with a few and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store