feeding shelled peas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I've read about feeding shelled peas in the past and tried feeding my fish with them fresh and cut into little pieces but very few actually ate any. Leopardess just mentioned boiling the shelled peas to someone else and I'm wondering if that's my problem. any advice? Kyle

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
I usually just drop a frozen pea in a shot glass of tap water and let it thaw/soften up for a half hour or so. No boiling necessary. What kind of fish are you trying to feed the peas?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
well, my barbs were my first target since I have had some appear to have swim bladder problems from time to time but I have rainbows, tetras, panchax, barbs, guppies, mollies, platies, danio's, angel and several types of catfish in various tanks. is there a specific type of pea you guys use? Kyle

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
I don't use any specific brand, but I do use frozen peas because those don't come in any syrup. Probably the stuff in canned peas wouldn't hurt anything, but the less junk I'm putting in my tank, the better, IMO.

Also, I think that frozen peas would be easier to keep after you have opened them -- I just put the bag of peas in a Ziploc bag and throw them back in the freezer.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I at least think blanching the peas would be a good idea. It would make them easier for the fish to break up.

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
I use frozen peas. First, I let a couple thaw in luke warm water. Then, I pull the shells off. Then I nuke them until they are soft enough to be easily crushed. My Goldfish love em.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
The peas work well to aid in the digestion of a bloated Goldfish, or a Goldfish with Dropsy. No blanching is nessessary though, because they dont need to be soft. In fact, they break up in water and create a mess if they are extra soft. Steaming does take some nutritional value out of the veges too. ;)

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
I give my goldfish a regular diet of greens to help prevent digestive problems. Everybody I have ever met with an old (>10 yrs) feeds peas regularly. Maybe you could try a smaller pea such as an English pea. Spinach is also good though is can be very messy. I blanche the Spinach and clip it to the side. My GF loves it as well. It did take them a while to catch on but when they did they couldn't get enough!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i've mentioned this before in another thread, but just thought everyone might like to know that one of the ichthiologists (fish scientists) here at East Carolina University reccommended that when feeding romaine lettuce to my pleco, to microwave it for 3 or 4 seconds beforehand. this will help to break down the cell walls.

perhaps you would be interested in doing that with your peas.

and i'll be trying some peas as result of this thread, i was unaware of their benifits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store