dosing kno3

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hubbard

AC Members
Nov 20, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
trying to figure out chucks calculator for a 12 gal tank.how much kno3 do i need to add to achieve 5ppm kno3.can someone me figure calculator out .
have following.
potassium sulfate,mono potassium phospate.all help greatly appreciated.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
The closest I could get to 5ppm is .50 grams of KNO3 = 6.81ppm in a 12 gal. tank. This is the equivalent of .09 tsps. This is dry measure. An easier way to do it is to make a stock solution for your 12.
Mix 3tsps. KNO3 with 50mls. of water. Then each ml. you dose will yield 6.1ppm of KNO3.
You can figure out all your dosages this way by selecting the 'stock solution' tab on the calculator.
If you are using Fleets Enema for your P, you can dose 2 drops and then test for content. If under .50ppm, add 2 more and test again. You want to be between .50 and 1.0ppm P.
I dose 3-4 drops in my 10 and am within range so you shouldn't go over with 2 drop increments.

Len

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
ok, I know I am new to plants but have been reading a lot in the forums and such but how does one know what they should be adding to water with all the choices out here and what are our alternitives?

johnnyxxl

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
1)Test your water
2)Read
3)Ask questions
4)Make a decision

Feel free to repeat #2 and #3 as much as you like. Daily testing while dosing is recommended initially.

There are many products that will get the job done. Sometimes #4 is the hardest!;)

bharada

AC Members
Apr 13, 2004
Visit site
According to Chuck's dosing calculator, 10g of KN03 mixed with 307ml of water will give you 4.99ppm/ml when added to 1 gallon of water. So for your 12 gal tank add 12ml of solution.

To me this is the simplest way to mix up solutions since dosing is then easily calculated on a ml/gal basis.

As for PO4 (using Fleet enema) I've read that .3ml=1ppm/10gal. I use a baby dosing syringe (look in the pharmacy section where the baby medications are) which is marked in .2ml increments

Last edited:

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
It may help to think about things in these terms:

Plant's needs:
Light
CO2
NPK
GH at or above 3
KH at or above 3
Traces.

Generally folks dose:
KNO3
PO4 source
Traces

3 things, not too hard?

Weekly water change(50%)
Tap water generally is 2-3 degrees KH and 3 or higher GH
CO2 from gas tanks are fairly stable, not much attention needed there unless something does not look right in the tank(eg not as much pearling)

Prune, clean, trim, remove any signs of algae etc

It's not complicated truthfully, some want to make it that way, but it's mighty simple at the end of the day.

Add 3 basic things for dosing, the light and CO2 are no brainers.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store