schooling fish alone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bob65

Registered Member
May 22, 2004
Visit site
I just wondered what others thought about this.
When trying to keep schooling fish such as tetras, barbs and cory cats, and over time they all die but one and it lives for several years, should we buy others to keep it in a school that it needs, or should we just see how long it can live without living in a school? The reason I ask is that I have 1 green cory that's 9 yrs. old and 1 neon tetra that's around 3 yrs. old. Now if I add others to make schools and they live for a while and catch up in size, I may not be able to tell the old one from the new ones. Then when they start to die I will no longer know how old that one old fish was when it died. I think this might an exception to the rule, if we are trying to determine the lifespans of our fish.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Well, are you trying to rid your tank of the perticular species of fish, or are you just curious?

If you do not intend to get rid of this kind of fish, then I would recommend you get more so it can feel more secure. But if you aren't interested in anymore of the perticular fish then I would say they would be fine without more. I have kept cories in a group of 2 before, and they did fine. Mine do not seem to school together often, so I'm not sure if they "need" to be in groups.

Again, I do not think they would die because of no other tank buddies... but if you aren't looking to get rid of these fish then I would add more. ;)

Ngaio

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Why don't you get similar fish for your singles to school with? If you got green neons you would be able to spot the old one and he'd have a school of buddies. (At least I have a lone cardinal that schools with my green neons).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store