Fairwell discus :( good riddance CAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ok, some of you might recall that I was starting to have problems with my algae eaters attacking my angels and discus fish and sucking off the slime coat. You might also remember that I have been trying to find a new home for them. Well today was the last straw. I was cleaning the tank and found a dead discus, or the remains of one, and a very FAT algae eater.

My other discus, as they were a matched pair, had begun to swim with my angel pair. I called the store where I bought the discus and asked if they would take him back, since I could not keep him by himself. They took him in trade for som kuhli loaches for my 10 gal and some cory cats for the 33. When I got back home I went into the tank to catch those CAEs I ripped up almost all my plants in the chase and finally caught them. They are currently housed in a five galon with some guppies and are now on death row unless I find a place for them. The store won't take them, because they latch on to and kill other fish. 10 days, and they meet the freezer.

I decided not to keep discus after this. I was really starting to have trouble keeping up with the cleaning. The pair was healthy, and bright, but I can't keep up the water changes. I just wish I had got them out before the CAE's got that one.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Unless the CAEs magically got into your tank on their own, are they to blame or are you (if they did magically get in your tank, disregard the rest of this post, but if you put them them in there, by buying them or taking the, read on)? You're the one who messed up and you're going to kill the CAEs for it? You certainly can't keep them, but wouldn't you be better off selling them or giving them away to someone else who can?

I think it's completely unfair that you're killing fish because YOU made the mistake of putting CAEs in your discus tank. If you searched these forums or on the Internet you'd know that was a bad idea. Hell, I've never kept discus OR CAE's and I know that wasn't a good combination, based on the personalities of the fish. Discus are shy, nervous fish that produce excess mucus for their young, CAEs latch onto other fish and can eat slime coat. I'm into bettas right now, and to me that's tantamout to walking into the LFS, buying a fish bowl and two male bettas for it. Couldn't you have been bothered to ask on the forums before you threw them in there?

But whatever, you made a mistake and one discus is dead. You returned the other one and got more fish out of it. Honest mistakes are one thing. But you can't kill the fish for acting on its natural instincts (well, you can, and probably will, but you shouldn't). Take some personal responsibilty for the mistake YOU made. The CAEs aren't misbehaving, they are acting like they normally would. You're the one who messed up.

I think a likely scenario could be that the stress of being leeched by the CAE killed the discus, not the CAE itself. Thus you're at least partially at fault (even if the CAE did kill and eat the discus you'd still be at fault, just as much as I would be for putting two male bettas together). Plus discus are pretty fragile fish - if you noticed them being hassled, why on earth would you leave the CAEs in there? Any fish will eat another dead one, and that's where things stood when you got around to checking up on things.

So many people these days lack an sense of personal responsibility and they lack any respect for life. I don't believe life is disposable and when you willingly took the fish you agreed to take care of them. I don't even like CAE's, I think they're ugly fish and generally unsuited for home aquaria, but they are alive and you did willingly take the responsibility of keeping them. That they performed their natural instinct is not their fault, but that you put them with other fish an d then plan to kill them is yours. I doubt that will have any affect on you, but I feel sorry for the CAEs who are going to be killed off pretty painfully. I'd never willingly take any, but I'm not the one who took them either.

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
*edited.*

It seems people are only looking for assenting comments, rather than dissenting comments, so I'll remove my opinion and make it easier for everyone.

I did not intend ill feelings towards the poster, but rather the choices (s)he made.

Also, if there is background info that affects a situation, it would be greatly helpful to include it in the first post.

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
While it's just my opinion, the second post in this thread is rather harsh. We have all made some mistakes...

I'm sure most learn from them.. And, yes there should be some LFS to take the CAE's off your hands.

We did a lot of research before getting our 8 Discus. Guess now is a good time to say - do some "homework" on the next "project". Aquaria Central members have helped us out tremedously with successful Discus keeping!

Bugman

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
NoCal
Visit site
That was the rudest most self-righteous post I have ever read. There is now reason to tear into a person like that. A simple "You shouldn't kill these fish etc..." would have sufficed. I have made many mistakes keeping fish and will probably make more but I don't need some punk degrading me for them. Most people on this forum even if they totally disagree with what someone did will try to come up with a positive solution not blast someone for just wanting to do something "wrong".

I wish stores wouldn't sell CAE as just "algae eaters for community tanks". I have never had one not cause trouble once the got big. I haven't bought one since since I was a kid( so please don't attack me):rolleyes:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site

Last edited:

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I too have said my peace, but let me clarify one thing: the discus ending up dead was a mistake and though it sucks, I didn't blame the original poster for it. I'm sure we've all made such mistakes. However, to fix the situation by killing the fish is the easy way out. I'm always up to help other people on the boards, but those other people have to want to keep fish healthy and own up to the fact that they did, through ignorance or whatever, make a mistake.

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
if your local newspaper has a free classified section, you might try to list them in that. (our paper has a section called "bargain bonanza" where items under $100 can be listed for free) :)

i also doubt you are really going to kill the fish-you were just frustrated and angry at that moment. that second post was uncalled for.

hope you find a home for them! maybe they should call them chinese discus eaters...

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
WOW!,
First of all lets say that I agree every avenue should be explored to sell trade, give away these fish, they should not be euthanised needlessly.

Secondly lets make it real clear that I believe euthanzation is not only a sad reality of husbandry, but it is a personal choice of an individual to decide when it is appropriate and when not. And while the original poster would have probably been better off to just say he was getting rid of his CAE's, and not elaborate. I feel the reactions were harsh and out of line. Euthanization is far more responsible than improper housing, but far less responsible than finding a new home Just my personal opinion, nothing more.

Lastly, I have tried very hard to make it a point to avoid the inflamed threads and only jump in the middle of the calm ones. (my personal way to help keep AC a friendly place) This will be my last look at this thread, I'll be more than happy to debate via PM's if someone wants a go at me also but not on the public forum. Bozco good luck finding a home for the CAE's and we'll see you at the next thread.
Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store