Tank trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bugman

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
NoCal
Visit site
I bought a used 55 gl and the middle bracket was broken. I thought I had it fixed with epoxy glue but one side snapped again. It held for almost 3 days. The tank bows out about 3/8" in the middle. The glass is 7/16" thick and I'm wondering if bowing that much will be a problem. I cannot think of another way to fix it besides making a bracket of some sort that would lap over the sides and hold it in place but even that I'm not sure what I could use. I don't know if the people who had it before had let it bow out or if it had just broke. It kinda scares me to have it bowing.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bugman

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
NoCal
Visit site
It's broken right were it touches the glass. I don't think there is any thing I can screw into that would hold. I'm going to Home Depot later today to see if I can find something. Maybe a srip of 1/4" metal that can be bent at both ends and glued on?

I wish I had just bought a new tank:idea2:

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
something stainless or chrome plated would hold up well to freshwater saltwater could be a problem.

You could see about replacing the whole top "band"

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
My LFS sells replacement top trim pieces that incorporate the center brace for 55 gallon tanks. I had the center brace break on a 55 once, and I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a replacement.
The job is messy, but it is probably the best looking solution.

Bill in WI

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i had the same problem with my tank. i bought it used, and a friend of mine set it up for me, and got all the water in it. a couple daysy later i take a closer look at it and i notice the bowing out in the front. then i noticed that the crossbeam thingy was broken right in the middle.

but it seemed to be okay, since it was holding all that water. in addition, i knew i would be putting very laid back fish in there... if i were planning on large, agressive fish that might hit the sides of the glass kindof hard, or if the tank were in a place where it could get bumped by passers by easily, then i would have worried about it,

but it seems to be okay.

Bugman

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
NoCal
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

I went ahead and got a stainless steel metal strip and bent and glued it in place. I re-epoxyed the brace back together and the put silicone on top of that. The metal strip I used don't look too bad. All you see is a 1 1/2" x 1" metal piece in the middle of the tank. I might get some paint and try to match the trim. So HOPEFULLY that will hold. Only time will tell.

I figured it would probably be OK bowing a little bit but just to be on the safe side I thought I'd try. The Emperor 400 puts out a decent current( I think thats why it snapped this last time. I had put the filter on the same day) and the tanks only 12 1/2" wide.

Thanks again, If it breaks again I'll check into getting the whole piece. I didn't know you could buy those. How much was it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store