ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maigen

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
ontario canada
Visit site
not sure if i'll get the same answer as the post before me or not, but here's my problem.

tested ph.....7.0....put ph down in the tank....did a water change the next day & tested ph again....still 7.0....put in more ph down....tested this morning still 7.0

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Why would you want to change a neutral pH? A pH of 7.0 is perfect for 99% of fish out there! :p

And regardless of your pH, you shouldn't try to change it... even if it was 7.8, it is better to keep the pH where it is then to alter it. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, fish can handle most pH ranges - what they cannot handle is fluctuations. Even the smallest change in pH can throw the whole chemistry off. And this is considered very bad for a fish's health. :(

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I'll second AquariumFishGuy… I wouldn't tamper with a pH of 7.

As to why it isn't moving… maybe you've got a bad test kit. Have you tried another kit? Your LFS should be able to confirm your results…

maigen

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
ontario canada
Visit site
oops...must have had a mind fart.....ph was 7.6 not 7.0

everybody seems to think it' not a problem so i'll just continue on & make sure it doesn't fluctuate.

i had some probs with a molly's fin disintegrating. some research i did suggested it was a ph problem

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Its unlikely that pH would cause fins to disintegrate (unless of course... you're talking about a pretty acidic environment...). Water quality and/or the health of the fish is the most likely contributor. Most (if not all) mollies are raised in aquariums... many can do quite well in water with higher pH levels. Check your water parameters (ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrates), and get back to us.

As the others have said, a stable pH is generally preferred over a "perfect" but unstable one. If you must lower pH, avoid additives such as pH down. Try putting peat in your filtration, or driftwood in your tank. RO water mixed with your tap water should also do the job.

-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store