poisoning or brain damage in fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msn711

AC Members
May 12, 2004
Austin, TX
Visit site
Yesterday, my opaline gourami went erratic when I turned on the aquarium lights (standard 20w flourescent)...at least I didn't notice anything strange before turning the lights on. He started flipping and swirling, and then he would sink to the bottom, appearing to be dead. A little while later, he would managed to right himself and struggle to the top of the aquarium to breathe. He went through this routine two or three times...he was extremely weak and would get pulled toward my penguin 125 power filter (20 g long tank), and the return from the filter would push him down to the bottom. Well after a while, he sunk to the bottom and didn't get back up and died. Early this morning (about 1am CST), one of my zebra danios began exhibiting similar behavior and he too was dead by 3am. I've tested the water: pH 7.4, temp. 82*F, ammo 0, no2 0, no3 0. There are no visibile signs of bacterial or parastitic infection on the fish...no spots or anything like that. I've been searching for possible diseases, but so far, the only thing I've been able to find is possible brain/nervous system damage. Any ideas? I think my last danio may be starting to exhibit symptoms. The other tank inhabitants are 3 gold skirt tetras who have not been affected at all.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I have seen fish poisoning before and it 's not fun. I would check ALL your tank decorations for anything that could dissolve into the water.

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
It certainly sounds like poisoning of some sort as your water parameters appear normal, although temp is maybe a bit on the high side....I'd lower to about 76-78F.

Have you usd any cleaning products / insecticides / chemicals in the same room as the tank recently? Anything that can evaporate or is already in micro-droplet form (aerosols), could potentially enter the water column in your tank via the surface of the water.

I understand that some of these products are only required in extremely small quantities to be lethal to fish.

I also second the above re decorations. Have you put any new decorations / fake plants in the aquarium recently? If so, then this could also be the culprit. Remove immediatly if so.

I would try as large a water change as you think the fish can handle without snuffing it, to try and remove any toxins that may be in the water.

I hope you manage to avoid any more losses.:confused:

Last edited:

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
I had a buenos aires tetra that did the same thing. I noticed it fo the first time a couple days after I bought him, as he was rapidly swimming in figure eights, but on his side, not upright. It wasn't really a common thing, but happened every now and then for a few months, then one day he started doing it like every two or three minutes, and was soon dead. I figured it was some sort of nervous system thing, maybe like seizures or whatever. None of my other fish have ever done this.

msn711

AC Members
May 12, 2004
Austin, TX
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I did add a new decoration the same day I added the fish...a pieces of rockwork from PetSmart. I rinsed it off first. After the two fish died, I haven't had any other problems, even with the decoration still in there. I hate to think this, but I had my hand in the tank for a while rearranging stuff for the new rockwork. On that hand I have one ring and my watch. Is it possible I was the contamination?

I haven't been able to get the temp. below 82F, even with my heater turned off. Of course, it is pretty hot around here this time of the year in the deep south.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depending on what the ring and watch are made of, it's possible, but unlikely. More likely, IMO, would be something on your skin--lotion, bug spray, soap, oil, etc. What had you handled before working in the tank?

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I had the same problem with fish from petsmart when I first got into the hobby
I had at least 3 zebras and one....or 2 neons just freak out
I know zebras tend to have problems, my G/F and I have resorted to not getting certain fish from petsmart.
I would be very choosey where you get your fish from, thats pretty much what it comes down to.
You may pay more an your LFS, but quality over quantity.
As well, mega chains tend to have a certain caveat.

edit: Was it one of those fake rockwork ones?
I dont trust the fake stuff that much, fake plants yeah, but the stuff they make out of....plaster I think.
They are mass produced and there is no way of telling if they were properly coated with epoxy.
I have a fake wood piece in my tank and my G/F has one too, but they are small and have shown to be no problems....mind you....I think we got them at wal-mart....hrmm

Last edited:

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
You should be able to keep the temp lower than that. I'm in Austin as well, and we haven't even had a day that reached 90 yet. My 20 long and 30 long are both unheated and stay at around 72. My 5g is heated to 80. My dad's 55 heated to 82.

Which PetsMart? I pick up equipment from the Brodie Lane location, but have never gotten any decorations. Their shelves are always dusty and I'm afraid of what else they might be covered in.

Ngaio

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I have always wondered if the flea products used on dogs and cats could harm fish. It would be so easy to pet the dog and then stick one's hand in the tank...

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
I'd be pretty darn sure that flea / tick products for cats / dogs would harm fish. I keep cats and just got them some new 'spot-on' flea treatment last night. Because I'm into fishkeeping now I actually checked the package for mention of harm to fish but could not find anything.

Strangely enough, when I lived in the UK, I seem to remember very clearly that those same products all carried warnings about the chemicals being harmful to aquatic life. Maybe different chemicals but i wouldn't bet on it.

I always wash my hands thouroughly before putting them in the tank, making sure to really rinse well to remove all traces of soap. I then do the same thing afterwards....otherwise the wife comlpains that I smell like fish.:p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store